What qualifies a "low baller"

I see this often, but when is a bid fit that category?
30%, 40%, 50% off the offered price?
umaasa
I agree with Ozfly and Tireguy that there is no specific
deffinition for low-ball offers. If I feel I have priced an
item fairly - considering condition and what similar items
are being listed at - and I receive an offer say 15% or more
below my asking price, I do consider that a low ball offer.
I rarely consider such offers, as in most cases the item I
have for sale has already been replaced with a better item.
And since I buy all my equipment for cash; I'm usually in
no big hurry to unload anything.
I've also had a number of truly low-ball offers from
dealers who are obviously looking to get some nice gear at
cut-rate prices. I have no problem letting them know they
can get it at their price when hell freezes over!
I think some of the posters need to lighten up . Remember for most of us this is for fun. The Value or selling price of an item is subject to many variables including buyer and sellers motavation. Are they in a hurry to buy or sell? Are there 6 of this item for sale this week? Is the piece mint or flawed? Is the piece out dated ? I am not offended by a low ball offer. If you write firm then don't respond . I like to be curtious and respectivly decline offers that are below my needs and wait for a better offer ! Sometimes the "new" piece is already on its way so I may be inclined to move a piece faster. I am very thankful that places like Audiogon and others exsist, they have helped me grow my system to near State of the Art on a Beer budget.
Seems some of you guys are more tolerant of low-ballers than me. I hate it when I have a firm price at, or a little above, the average selling price, and I get all these cheapskates who totally ignore the FIRM part, and usually the perfect condition of the item, and insist on offering hundreds less.

On the other hand, there are sellers who overprice their piece, and then get pissy when you offer them $100 below asking. But, as others have pointed out, there are all kinds on Audiogon. For the most part, though, I think many of the classier audiophiles that sell on Audiogon are very fair and price their equipment very well.

Now, why are none of these guys selling a Levinson 37 at a reasonable price?..........Oh, well.....
I agree with much of what a number of you have said about low-ballers. That said, speaking only on behalf of me from the buyer's point of view (as that's all I know), I always look at a product I'm thinking of getting and ask myself what I'm willing to pay, and that's what I'll offer. Sometimes the offer's accepted, sometimes not.
If I really want a product and there've been several listed and sold recently, then I'll jump on the very next listing with a "fair" price and end up paying more than I probably should have paid.
I don't view classified listings as any different from auctions. Decide what it's worth, make an offer, and either you win or you lose. It's that simple and that difficult.
Regards, JimL, A Buyer's Point of View
Lowball? You're crazy! I'm just looking to pay a fair price if the whazzit is in absoutely, positively better than new condition and you'll assure me that I'll be happy with it if only I could afford it at the price I'd offer if I had the money and wanted it.

Oh damn!

I'm committed to buying a Panasonic and well... it's just too bad that you didn't accept my offer to negotiate about whether I'd be interested, if I had the money and wanted it.

The phantom buyer.