SACD Dominates Recommended List

Stereophile just placed 4 CD players in it's top-rated A-Plus Recommendation List. Three were SACD players: the Marantz SA-1, Sony SCD-1, and Sony 777ES. The fourth was a $15,000 Meridian.
tommart
Oh you goofs!! Stereopile has to boost SACD so the format will catch on so everyone will have to buy one because its THE new format AND we'll have to replace our music libraries with SACDs. I personally give the format 5 to 6 years, by which time some other format will be announced as the latest Second Coming (no heretical insult intended) and we'll be off on the chase again. (Just as an aside - look for that new format to be chip based and require an entirely new and initially, then permanently, overpriced component, with the attendant demand that once again, you must replace your (now) SACDs.)

Or, you can come to my house and we'll whale away with the best 78's you can get for a quarter (which means pretty much all of recorded music up til 1956 or so!)

chas
Stereophile factors in price into their recommendations. A better sounding piece could be rated lower because it costs much more. That's probably the case with the Levinson combo. As another example, Stereophile and others have concluded that Accuphase makes the best sounding SACD player. It's not on the list at all--probably because of it's $28K price. Right now, people are buying new SCD-777's under $2K, new SCD-1's under $3K, and new SA-1's under $4K. The Stereophile review of the 777 concluded that for it's price, it was a bargain even if only used as a CD transport.
Tommart. Where are people buying Marantz SA-1's under $4K?? The player retails for $7500 and average discount is 10- 20% since shopping around for one. You are saying the dealers are blowing them out at almost 50% with your forum.
As the owner of an SCD777ES I'll tell you this:
Either run with the big dogs or stay on the porch!

SACD is the best thing that's happened for audiophiles in a long time. This media is phenomenal, and finally reveals the true promice of digital. As to Redbook, it's well known that both the 777 and SCD1 need about 400 hours break-in to sound best. All you high-dollar guys who have to have "insert name" brand expensive SACD player, that's cool, you wait and it will come, but I'll have the last laugh 'cause your $12,000 player has the SAME transport as my 777.

Quit yer whining, and get on with the show. Better sell off that huge money transport/dac now, while you can still get some of your $$$ back.

I do not mean to sound harsh, but the reality is SACD is here to stay, like it or not. I've got over 30 great titles in less than 6 months and growing, and mainstream music stores such as Tower Records are setting up SACD sections in their stores as we speak.As to redbook, it reminds me of an old saying: "The king is dead, long live the king!".

Paul
Here's the problem. I have over a thousand CDs and even more vinyl albums. Most of the titles I see coming out on SACD I already have or I don't want. I can choose from many tens of thousands of used CDs or records for $5 to $10 a copy or spend $25 on a SACD of music I already have. How many copies of "Kind of Blue" do you need? I hope SACD does catch on so people dump their CDs like they did their vinyl and I can get them for a bargain at the used store.