VPI HW19 MkIII vs. Michell Gyrodec?

Hi all, I've lurked around the forums here but never posted before. Now I have a question!

I'm looking to take my first real foray into the high-end by upgrading basically my whole system. I'm replacing an AR ES-1/Linn Basik/Aurum Beta and I've got it narrowed down to two 'tables. I'd love to hear what you think about each one, and which you'd buy if it was you:

VPI WH-19 MkIII with an AudioQuest PT-9+ and my Aurum Beta (I'll upgrade the cart later!)

or a Michell Gyrodec SE with the venerable RB300 and my Aurum Beta.

I've been able to audition the VPI locally and I definitely preferred to the Nottingham Interspace, plus I live in a loose bulding with plenty of vibration and NO possiblility of a wall shelf, so I need a competent suspension! However, I hear such GOOD things about the Gyro SE. Unfortunately, there isn't a Gyro even remotely close to me so I hear one.

What to do!?

My amp is a Conrad Johnson MV55, interconnect is Audioquest Viper and AQ Type6 speaker cables to Clements 107di's. I haven't yet bought a preamp but am looking at either the JJ 243 which has a nice tube phono stage, or a CJ PV10B with phono stage.

Thanks for any help!
dirtyragamuffin
Bombaywalla,

I'm not sure whether you have owned VPI or Michell but it seems you are refering to Sota or Linn suspension set up regarding the finnicky set up and the constant maintanence.

As for VPI or Michell suspension? I don't remember the last time I had to adjust VPI suspension(what adjustment? set up, level, and forget). As for Michell, I check the bounce once in a while, which never goes out of set up unless I move the turntable. I have owned a number of different turntables including Nottingham, Linn, Sota, Oracle, Michell, VPI, Rega, etc. Suspended or non-suspended, you will need to get used to your turntable and how to set it up unless you have free local dealer service.

As for the sound? I wouldn't argue on which is better design, suspended or non-suspended. They both have its strengths and weaknessses. Also different emphasis of the sound.
For me, I prefer plush sound of the suspended turntable especially with my music taste and my sound preferences.
Hi,

I agreed a suspended table is harder to set up correctly. The Michell is "friendlier" than a Linn as far as set-up, but getting the suspension adjusted just right is still a bear, and does make a huge difference. For me, it was about as dramatic a difference as when you dial in the VTA of a cartridge just right. Not sure about the VPI, since I never owned a suspended VPI.

Terry
Dirtyragamuffin,

Here is non-official Michell set up guide maintained by Werner.

http://www.angelfire.com/music5/michell_gyrodec/

This will give you idea on how to set up Gyrodec/Orbe.

IMHO, VTA/VTF set up is much more involved than Gyrodec/Orbe turntable set up.
Nameci,

I won't argue with you 'cuz you've experienced what you have! Also, my objective was to educate Dirtyragamuffin rather argue with the members here.

Anyway, it seems that you are a better pro @ suspended TTs than I am. Terry (Tlh28) & myself seem to have very similar experiences per his latest post.

Several facts have revealed themselves & Dirtyragamuffin can make his choice.
I just wanted to clarify what has been stated. To be sure that Dirtyragamuffin and other Audiogon readers gets the correct facts.

Wall Shelf or solid stand is more essential to Non-Suspended turntable. Wall shelf or solid stand will benefit suspended turntable as well but not as much compared to Non-Suspended turntable. Airborn vibration will affect the non-suspended turntable much more so than it does to suspended turntable.

Suspended turntable may involve little more periodical adjustments compared to non-suspended turntable.