Resonant Frequency

There is a discussion on cartridge resonant frequency on Vinyl Engine right now.Do the knowledgable members of this forum have ideas as to what is an optimal figure? It is suggested that 10hz is O.K but other figures of around 12hz or even as high as 14hz have been suggested as to what to aim for.Should I be happy with an Rega RB 250 with Origin structural mod,using an Ortofon cartridge, that I have calculated to have a resonance around 11hz?stefanl
stefanl
Hi, I am the guy who started this whole discussion. Whhhhooooh...! Did I frighten you?
11Hz would be splendid, but higher values are better. At Vinyl Engine you can find this other thread, where you will find out that a Rega RB 250 is 11 to 13 g effective. Depending on the type of the Ortofon, the compliance will be 20 cu or above.

In the thread called "MC cartridge recommedation needed" you will find a comforatble resonace reference table. The total mass will be: 6cart + 2bolts + 13arm =21g. So when the compliance is 20, the product of these is 20 x 21= 420. This points at a bit below 8 Hz. This will not give optimum tracking stability.

Note that I take a compliance of 20 for the Ortofon, because you did not mention the model designation.

The best check is Track 2 of Side 2 of Turntable & Record Review Magazine Test Disc.

A Rega is not a light arm, as anyone would think. So be carefull with cartridge choice. And not all Ortofons have the same compliance. If you have questions about this: Just ask them to me in this or another forum.
Thanks for the reply.I have just received an e-mail from Origin Live who state that the effective mass of the Rega RB 250 is unaffected by the mod so it is at 11g as quoted on their website.The Ortofon is an X-5 MC so it has compliance of 13um/mN.Weight is 4.1g.So 11+4.1+1=16.1 and I arrive at 11 hz by calculation? I think that this is o.k.On Vinyl Asylum there is stuff in the archives and some say 12hz is optimal maybe 14hz.There is a page on the site for modding Thorens tables called cartridge/arm matching.Their formula is rf=159/sq root((eff.mass+cart weight+fastener weight)*(compliance))they say 10hz is optimal.I would like to know the current concensus on optimal resonance.stefanl
There is no "perfect" resonance frequency, just an acceptable range. Organ notes go as low as 16 Hz so you need to be safely below that. Go too low and you'll interact with footfalls, earthquakes and the guy driving by with a 500W sub in his trunk.

11 Hz is fine. So are 12 and 10, and probably 13 and 9. IOW, don't fret about it.
I see that there is some difference as to what an acceptable figure is.A reply on Vinyl Asylum gave the example of the Goldring cartridge that comes with the MMF 5 having a rf of around 8hz,but said to be o.k.Some on Vinyl Engine believe 10 hz is too low,deriving from the original paper of the '70's,and have said you want a bit of give,to around 12hz and can go to 14hz.So far I have seen a range 8-15hz.In fact a lot of people seem to retreat from the original 10 hz and are justifying combos of 7,8hz because thats where their tables are.Interestingly a Blue Point Special on a Rega RB 250 comes to almost exactly 10hz.Does it sound fantastic or do I notice a slight "grey"tonal colouring?(ha ha)
Quoting from "The Audioperfectionist Journal," (No. 9, 2003)I have this to offer as food for thought. It is also a view I agree with and have experienced, and this as a person who has been spinning vinyl for 30 years or so, and the last 10 with a strong dedication to the format:

"Expert opinions differ on the optimum frequency for cartridge/tonearm resonance. The range usually recommended is 6-15Hz but I will state without equivocation that the magic number is 8Hz. Go higher than that and you'll get fatter bass with less definition. Go much lower and the stylus will jump out of the groove if it encounters the slightest warp."

The higher resonances are a function of reality, and for most of us this is not a problem as most records are not going to have a lot of information in this area. However, having said that, there are of course those frequencies that are a function of the fundamental or base frequency; double it and this begins to make sense.

For ex., if your RF is 14Hz, then 28Hz, 56Hz etc are effected. If only 8Hz, well second and third order RF is at or below what most systems will reproduce. Otherwise, we could have a primary RF below, say, 32Hz or so.

Very few pipe organs produce a true 16 foot, BTW. Those that do, well you feel this in your bones in the church...

FWIW