Seperate phono stage v.s. step up transformer

Fellow analog lovers help me with this dilemma. I have a Teres 265 turntable with a Graham 2.2 arm and a Lyra Helikon cartirdge. I just purchased a new preamp that has a terrific phono stage but, its' sensitivity is 2mV @47Kohms and the Lyra cartridge is only 0.22mV.
So I have 3 choices, get a new cartridge, get a seperate phono stage, or a step up transformer.
What would those of you with more experience in these things do? If it is change cartridge, which one? If seperate phono stage, which one? If a step up transformer can be used without sacrificing any detail, dynamics, etc. which one?
Thanks ahead of time to any of you that answer these questions.
agaffer
Excuse me... I hate to break in on this raging debate and name-calling but I still have questions related to the original premise of this thread ... namely the merits of a separate phono stage vs. transformer.
I recently had the pleasure of listening to Doug Deacon's excellent system which features the Bent audio transformers with a CJ PV11. I went the separate phono stage route with a Sonic Frontiers SFP1 Signature and my CJ PV10A. My PV10A has a MM phono stage, so I could use it with a Bent or other step-up transformer. Any opinions as to how this would compare with the current set-up? My only disatisfaction with the current setup is gain is a bit low (57DB + 18DB line stage.The PV10 phono stage has 48.5DB gain)
P.S. - all opinions accepted without prejudice... just be nice!
“ I still have questions related to the original premise of this thread ... namely the merits of a separate phono stage vs. transformer.”

Jyprez,

There are two things: the question you asked and the answer you are wiling to accept.

You asked a fairly global and fairly serious question about contribution of the properly implemented magnetic core into signal path at MC level but all that you want to hear, as an answer is a positive reinforcement to buy or not the specific “product”.

There is a big different between a specific product and marginal capacity of class/topology. You did not ask: I have my Helikon and CJ phonocorrectors, so will the Bent’s transformer good enough or bad enough to handle my cartridge and my correctors. Instead you asked a genetic quest, and as usually you received in response the ”wisdom” of the Patricia Barber’s subscribers drooling over the black boxes that they have home on their shelves and bitching about whatever they never heard. If you would like to have a useful help you should learn to ask the intelligent questions or at least to make in your question the correction for the “intelligence” of the local “advisers”.

I wish you the best luck on your journey,
Romy the Cat
Thanks for the responses to my original question. I guess one of the questions I should have asked is if the step up transformer degrades the signal at all, or are the better ones like a good pre amp.
My fear that the transformer may add a unwanted sonic signature to the music made me take the safe route and I purchased a used Tom Evans Groove.
By the way, I can't beleive any of you would let Romy the Cat bait you into a dialog. There is always someone like him in any forum, they go away when ignored. I have several hobbies, audio, surfing, and keeping large (250lbs on up) land tortosies. Even those forums have guys like Romy. Clearly they are jus posers and should be paid no attention to.
this guy has a serious personality disorder, imho. BIG grain of salt here--just let the ranting rant, and let it go you all.