Is heavy vinyl worth it?

I just got into vinyl and am starting to build a vinyl collection starting from zero records. I bought an OJC copy of Sonny Rollins' Way Out West and it sounds great even on just regular vinyl. I'm wondering if buying the heavy vinyl (180g, 200g) is worth it in general...they're upwards of $30 in some cases. Do they really sound better? What are the advantages? Is it a longevity issue? Do the heavy vinyl versions sometimes contain better remastering?

Thanks,
Winston
wcheng
I have that fine Sonny Rollins album, as well. Original (cost a fortune), OJC (cost $6!!!), and the Analogue Productions reissue ($30). The orig sounds awesome, but is not in the best condition. With Jazz, the originals are too dang expensive, so I understand getting reissues. All of my OJCs sound completely awesome and I believe Fantasy used the original source tapes. The Analogue Productions sounds great, as well, but not at 5 times the price of the OJC.

No doubt that the heavy vinyl improves playback performance and longevity. However, what rides in the grooves matters, too. As the source tapes age, some fidelity is lost. I think everyone agrees there. If you are collecting Jazz, stay with the OJCs. You will be able to afford a lot more of these great recordings.

Good luck,

Derek
I you listen to the Who's Who's Next on MCA heavy vinyl
you will hear a clear improvement. Any Groove Note direct to disc pressing such as the one by Roy Gaines tribute to T-Bone Walker. Any Analogue Productions pressings, and of course my favorite the orange and black Excello pressings.
These are all pressed on a thicker piece of vinyl.
Of course one can argue thin or "flimsly" vinyl sound excellent, Nonsuch classical, the German Wolf pressings,
Isabel French pressings. A large part goes to the engineer
and technique to press the vinll.
Another thought. I noticed my rig is sensitive to the thickness of heavy vinyl. It has to do with the how high the arm sits on the pivot shaft. I did not get full benefit until I compensated for the teensy little bit more it needed to be raised.
Bought my first 180 gram album (Miles Davis "My Funny Valentine"). Turns out the damn thing is warped! Nothing, it seems, has changed in vinyl in twenty years. I honestly believed that making them thicker was insurance against warpage. Well, I guess I'm wrong. Shopkeeper tells me he will exchange it once another copy is in store. So history keeps repeating itself. Bought some NOS albums. Some b=noisy, some ok. Is vinyl a game of chance?
Vinyl is like tube components, they're not for everyone. Only you can determine if vinyl is worth the hassles.