Cambridge Audio D500SE CD player

First off, Trelja, is yours sounding any better after another 24 hours or so?? Any one else have one, how would it compare to the new Rega Planet 2000. Thanks.
miked
Trelja, Kitch29, does this unit have a digital INput as well as output? If so, I wonder if you could run a digital out to an upsampler, then an input (even, ugh, Toslink) from the upsampler (or for that matter, a DVD player with a digital out that passes a 24/96 signal) back into the unit to take advantage of the 24/192 DAC. That would be a possible further advantage for this player.
Trelja: So, are you saying that this is a better all round player than the original planet?? I have Friday off work to continue my search for a new CDP, but as you say, for the price, this might be a no brainer. Kitch, what did you compare this to?? Thanks
Miked, I am saying that in my opinion, the sound is at least as good(to me, better) than the original Planet. My dealer carries NAD, Jolida, Cambridge, Rega, and Electrocompaniet. He told me to forget about the new Rega, in favor of this new Cambridge. I did not even audition it. My girlfriend was paying, and I refused to let her pay that much(although she wanted to). But, when he talked to me previously on the phone, he told me he liked the sound of the new Cambridge better than the new Rega. He also said he is very disappointed with the new Rega's build quality, but I cannot comment on that one(haven't seen it in person). He said he wouldn't stop me from buying the more expensive player, but he does not BS me. That's why I try to buy from him. If a cheaper piece is better, he is honest with me. I was never that big a fan of the old Rega. Nice, but... Kind of.. bland??? I thought I would buy a MF A3 CD, but that player always seemed less in terms of sound than it reads on paper. Lightweight. Fast. Open. Detailed. But, lightweight. Seems better on the outside(gorgeous cosmetics) than on the inside. Cambridge seems to be the opposite. The Cambridge sounds good. And to back up Kitch29, the bass is pretty good. I just compare it to two killer players I have heard, and it does not have the impact that they do. But, they are much more expensive. With the requisite parts to have that sound. The Cambridge is $450. Right now my system consists of the Cambridge w/HomeGrown Audio Silver Lace into a Jadis Orchestra Reference Integrated(surprising bass), connected to Coincident Technology Digital Masters via Coincident speaker cable, Coincident Troubass subwoofers via AudioQuest Midnight. I feel that double bi - wiring with these thick gauge speaker cables allows me to extract every last drop of sound, detail, bass.
Miked- keeping in mind just 24 hours so far, I compare it to Audio Refinement Complete, which was similar but not nearly as dynamic and the combination of my Parasound 1000 and MBS DAC III which was even more laid back than the Parasound alone, although come to think of it I was using an MIT digital cable, see: carl eber, et. al. What comes the closest in a very strange audition is the Classe' .3 but if you read my "Big Adventure" post the point was how can you tell where the cd player leaves off and the $15,000 amplifier and $10,000 speakers begin? Oh, I also heard one of the better Sony's, ES-7??, the Cambridge, which still sounds edgy is still more musical. Guys, and Elisabeth and Angela, the Cambridge is $399, money back 30 day guarantee, why not listen to it instead of me?
You know that label on top of the D500 SE Trelja referred to that says give it 36 hours to break in? Well it apparently has a 36 hour timer in it that automatically switches from a Fisher Price DAC that plays right out of the box to the 24/192. I went out of town right after the 24 hour mark (and my last post), left it cooking but not playing. Started it up upon my return, got to 24 hours again last night and was ready to return it. My one initial complaint, digital edginess, (grain?) especially on vocals was really terrible. This morning, having reached the consecutive 36 hour mark, and all this day, the better soundstage and dynamics I heard almost right away are complimented by a much more relaxed and natural sound to vocals with a complete absence of the digital nasties. On top of that, the period wooden flute on the Vivaldi Concerto in D finally sounds like a wooden flute, not a Conn band rental, something neither the Audio Refinement, Adcom 750 nor the Classe'.3 could do. Finally, I'm listening to the music again, something I haven't done since my then to be ex-wife discovered what "fungible" meant re: my VPI/Koetsu, Muse, etc. I wonder if you can only listen to it every 36 hours? Is the Cambridge factory in Brigadoon?