Tube myths

Many have asked me the same question, "How does the tube sound?" Well, the sound of the tube, is affected by numerous factors, such as circuit interaction, voltage applied to the tube, system setup, use of the tube, etc. All these things, combine, to make the sonics that one's hears, in his system. A bright sounding tube, in a mellow system, will appear to sound neutral. A tube that accentuates, the presence region, in a room with a dip, in that same region, will sound neutral. A neutral sounding tube, in a etched sounding system, will pass the etched sound along, and appear to sound etched. See what I am getting at? It's very hard, to know how a tube will sound, to the end user, in his/her room, and his/her system, based on how it sounds, in yours.
Different tube manufacturers, had a "house sound", whereas the tubes, they manufactured, tended to follow. But to what degree, the end user, will hear this sound, is solely influenced, by the various factors.
Another question frequently asked, "Is the tube NOS?" Manufacturers published a "spec sheet", that listed a set of parameters, that determined, a NOS(New Old Stock) tube. In order to determine if a tube meets this specification, one must determine, the test conditions, and invariably, test for voltage gain(emission). The voltage applied to the tube, must meet the manufacturers specs, to determine, if the emissions, are what the manufacturers specified. The NOS spec, is 99% of the time, lower, than the actual emissions, of a true NOS tube. A true NOS, unused tube, tested, according to the manufacturers spec, will almost always exceed the NOS spec, by approx 10%. A tube with an emission reading of 100%, tested accordingly, usually indicates, some use. However small, it is still used. Not knowing the history, of the tube, it takes, a true emission tester, that the applied voltage, can be varied, and a working knowledge(experience) to determine, to any truthful degree, that a tube is NOS. Mutual conductance testing, is a great way to match tubes(except power tubes), but is very unreliable, in ascertaining, whether a tube is NOS. The cosmetic condition(the way a tube looks) means nothing, as far as to whether it is NOS.
I will periodically, post more info, on the various, tube myths, that are floating around the web. My best advice, is to find a tube dealer, who is willing to stand 100%, behind his products, and knowledgeable, about the product, they are offering.
fletchj
Fletchj, I agree with your 1st para re the intrinsic sound of a tube and its actual sound being determined by its use. Here's a thought - instead of spending a fortune on equipment and cabling to compensate for problems in each other, have all tube equipment in the first place and just tune your room to your expectations using different tubes in each unit. I'd bet with good ears you could do this using current production tubes and not even have to resort to using high priced NOS tubes.
Newbee,

Good ears can fool ya no matter how golden they are. If a tube is blown after short period of time than you know NOS or not.

The lower quality tubes are the more complicated the integration of circuit should be in terms of protection.
Marakanetz, One of my points is that new production tubes can sound great and can be rugged as well. You just have to be able to have options regarding their placement. Trying to tune one piece of equipment alone could well send you into NOS to get the quality you are looking for. Obviously the choices are greater. But, for example, a lot of folks spend big bucks for Tele's when some of the new production EI's are,arguably, as good in anything but the most demanding application. Why spend your money if you don't have to. My second point was that i smelled an undisclosed sales pitch by someone specializing in the sale of expensive tested and matched NOS tubes. Perhaps I was wrong.
"My best advice, is to find a tube dealer, who is willing to stand 100%, behind his products, and knowledgeable, about the product, they are offering."

Could that dealer be, Oh, I don't know, perhaps YOU!

Come on, if you want to promote yourself then take out an ad and pay for it. The discussion forum is not the place to do it.