Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Wisnon wrote "DallasJustice had the Empirical Dac with all the trimmings and abandoned it for a TotalDac with Legato 16/44 transport and I think moved on to TotalDac Server and USB converter."

That is true, but realize that this was the original Overdrive and not the Overdrive SE. Big difference.

BTW, the TotalDAC USB cable is evidently the one to beat.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
"What you really needed to do was change out the rectifier."

This is good advise, but I'll give you even better advise:

Power all of your digital gear from a Plasmatron 3 from VHAudio.com:

http://www.vhaudio.com/plasmatron.html

All of the show exhibitors that have used one on loan buy one. I did and I love it.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
To all: I set out to pick the best DAC for me, for my needs, and report those findings to those who were interested. To be Frank, I had NO IDEA my thread would become this watched! I picked DAC's based on reputation, red book performance, build quality and all of your recommendations (tube vs SS made no difference to me). I started buying and getting deposits on DAC's to audition in my home; I have a huge amount invested in all of these DAC's but it was the only way to get them all here, in my room.

My comments and criticisms are honest, but they are mine. I understand that there is always a tube, power cord, vibration device, widget, flockazinga, or uber accessory to make a particular piece of kit better. I had the luxury of having the Big6 in and truly enjoying it, and even serendipitously finding the exact tube you guys all insisted I try with the Big6 to get the most out of it.

I sincerely understand that one of the best things about tube gear is the ability to tweak. Tube roll, apply tube dampers, cryogenic tubes, Chinese/Russion/Klingon NOS, I get it. And I get that some of you feel that if I am not willing to go down that road and tube roll, accessorize, etc then I am not giving that particular tube unit a fair chance to truly shine. I totally get it! I understand and I don't disagree.

My simplest response is that, well, tweaking to that extent is not my thing. There, I said it. I have a very obsessive compulsive personality (duh, look at the lengths I have gone through to get these DAC's into my house because I just NEEDED to try them all) but I find that I can get so sucked down the road of obsessive tweaking that I lose sight of just enjoying the music. I've done it before and I don't want to go there again. For the same reason, I don't spend the extra money or time upgrading my fuses, caps, XLR receptacles or anything with my SS gear. It's a slippery slope that I fall right down!

Also, to be honest, I don't truly think its mandatory to tube roll and accessorize to enjoy a tubed piece of kit. I understand that every manufacturer has a retail price point they want to stay within, and I totally get that they need to secure sufficient inventory to market and produce volume to make a living (thus eliminating their ability to include that UN tube, or any other, that truly makes their unit sing). But I trust these boutique designers (like Lampizator) to pick a solid, reliable, long lived tube that gives them the sound they want to impress reviewers and customers without needing to roll tubes. For $8k, that Big6 blew me away (with or without the UN tubes). There are better tubed and SS DAC's out there that every one of you would sell your Big6 (even with the perfect tubes) and upgrade to. I needed to look to other non-audio-factors to help make my decision as to which to keep; both were that good. But I would be lying if I didn't say that one of those other factors was that the Aeris is SS and won't make me constantly think there is a better tube/accessory out there to improve upon my already incredible sounding Big6; and then worry 2 years from now that it doesn't sound as good as it did last year, or did it, and where am I going to secure a sufficient supply of UN tubes to keep my music flowing for years. I could have enjoyed the stock Big6 and not thought about anything else to be flatly honest; again, it's THAT good! But the Aeris did equally well. I am auditioning 5 DAC's total. I can only keep one. I'm going to piss off, disappoint, frustrate, annoy, infuriate, confuse or insult someone along the way no matter what I say (obviously). Does that mean I should just keep the rest of the shoutout to myself? I prefer not as I enjoy your input and typing my "mini reviews" helps me to process and focus my decisions. But realize that I spend a LOT of time with each "Update." Each takes me at least an hour or two to process, condense and express. I hope that a few of you are getting something useful out of this.

If, to some of you, this means that I am not a true tube aficionado and should stick with SS gear, maybe you are right. I love some tube gear and some SS gear. When I get the Romulus DAC in, it will be for only 24h and I will not have the opportunity to tweak, tube swap or anything - it will just have to stand on its own two feet, as I let the Big6. I will say it like I hear it, as I have all along.

I am selling the Big6 to a very lucky Audiogoner, and I encourage him to jump on this thread and tweak/roll/modify to his hearts content and report his findings. I think that would be great!

To be honest, the Aeris is f'in amazing and may be the one for me; we shall see. I am scared sh/+less that I am NOT going to like the EA OverDrive SE as much, because Steve has been ridiculously nice, available, responsive, courteous and amazingly knowledgeable and I WANT to like it the most so his kit "wins" the shoutout. I am sensitive to, and desperately want to favor the little guys (Lampy and EA) since they are so dependent on good reports from people like us and forum threads like this to succeed.

Lampy has nothing to be disappointed with. That Big6 is a winner through and through! I am sure the overDrive SE will be the same. Rowland is a big company with a lot of $$$$ and R&D behind them, as is PS Audio. Rowland and PS both couldn't give a you know what about my thread....

Ok. Back to your regular programming. I needed to get that off my chest!

Sorry for any typos, I did this on my iPad. Auto correct and all....
Nice thoughts Matt, and I applaud you sticking to your guns.. The only thing I'd disagree with is your last statement:

"Rowland is a big company with a lot of $$$$ and R&D behind them, as is PS Audio. Rowland and PS both couldn't give a you know what about my thread...."

I can't speak for Rowland but I know Paul Mcgowan of PSA cares, a lot..you might be surprised, just spend sometime on the PSA user forums.