MSB III vs. Soundstream DAC-1 by Krell

Got a Soundstream DAC-1 (the one Krell helped to design). Thinking about getting a MSB Link III. Thoughts? If this is a improvement how much of one? Vs. a upgraded MSB III (half nelson, etc)? Other Good DACs vs the price of a fully loaded MSB III (Half nelson, and unsampler) $850-+ Assembalge DACs?
thecommodore
I've been told that EVS (tweekaudio.com) makes a good dac, the Millenium, for a reasonable price. They also do an upgrade on the MSB Link that is supposed to be comparable to the Nelson upgrade, but for less money. I have no experience with any of these products yet. I'm still shopping, too.
Why do you want to upgrade? What is your experience (good and bad) with the DAC-1 you have?. To really find out what your dac can (and can"t) do, try direct imput from dac to amp with only a volume control between them. I guess my point is to make sure any upgraded dac is going to improve your system in a way you find significant (and worth the cost).
Get the MSB. The DAC 1 sucks bad. The entire unit is exactly the same as when it was produced in like 1982. It is 1980's digital crap. DO NOT BUY IT AND IF YOU HAVE ONE GET RID OF IT. This whole thing with the dac 1 is a scam. I had one and it sounds pathetic. Super dull with a very small soundstage and no dynamics. My audio alchemy dac-in-the-box kicks it's arse and the MSB is supposed to blow away the audio alchemy. GET THE MSB. check out the newest stereophile for their review of the different MSB models.