DVD players that make good transports

I am currently considering moving to a system where I use a DVD player as a transport to drive either a Bel Canto DAC-1 or a Camelot Uther Mk III DAC. Are there some DVD players available that perform better as transports than others? I do watch some movies and enjoy them, but my main passion is music. The rest of the system consists of a Sony PCM R300 DAT recorder, McCormack TLC-1 Deluxe passive preamp, McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe SMcAudio Revision A power amplifier and Thiel 1.5 speakers. Thanks for any and all opinions and input.
bswil5918
Opinion?? got one.---I have Pioneer dv 09;I have Theta Data 3.Using the same lincs;Ill d-60's, going into a Purcell ,then into 24/96 Theta 5a;both transports from their coax out.The sound from the 09 is lacking in bass,compared to the data 3, BIGTIME. This is using the very same cd.I had a Toshiba 2109,and the Elite 09 is MUCH better.So I guess "compared to what"?? I know there are better transports than what I have. I hear good things about Sony 7700,and others. Cost no object? Ayre: The 8000 combinition,---to die for. There is an old thread about sony SACD;used for playing reg cd's. Everybody who owns one,and responded "bashed" it as a cd player.So if one puts 2+2 together,where do you think the 7700 dvd player comes in?? Generally,dvd payers sound great on dvd pressings.7 out of 10 of the dollars are for the dvd picture,and sound,the "cd only" comes in last.
CAL CL-20, currently being used as transport only, I bought it in case I wanted to have video option but like you I really prefer music. I may eventually go to a cd transport only, Stereophile class A (DVD) rated, CAL went the home theater route so no longer in production, usually can find one used around 1300 to 1900 depending on condition. Mine is mint, still has the plastic protective covering over the display! Good Luck
You might consider staying with CD transports alone. I have a Theta Data II "feeding" a GenVa and it is a terrific combo for music. There are Theta IIs for sale used and would not disappoint you musically.