The best CD player with volume control

I own an ARC LS5III and have for the last three years. I had always planned to include more than just a cd player into my system. It hasn't happened. I am considering on selling the ARC and running direct. I have made to many mistakes in the past. I can spare about $5,000. Can it be done?
jrud
I had heard that it would, but apparently it has been replaced altogether. Given its unique upsampling, it is likely that the CD55 is better (overall) than the CD50, perhaps. HOWEVER.....I certainly am in ZERO hurry to sell my CD50, and am very glad to hear how much Petland enjoys his! You need to try the affordable MIT Z-Cord 2, and then IMHO you'll really be overjoyed! I've also thought that the CD50 is extremely underrated, undervalued, under appreciated, over-obscured, and want to welcome Petland to "my 'un-digital, digtial' world" of bliss with the CD50. I would call it the "un-cola" of CD players, but that would just make everybody think it has a euphonic character. I don't think it has any character at all. It's too bad RA doesn't pay me a commission, but then, I'd be a "salesman", and that would lessen the meaning of whatever I happen to be saying.
to Nhorton, I was a huge a Wadia fan. I thought I was close to the best that 16/44 could sound when I ditched a modified LS22 and bought the 21 over a year ago and started running direct. As we all know in this hobby you don't know what you have until its gone be it good or not so good. All I can tell you is that the CD50 has me at a loss for words. Carl is right in a sense it is pointless to try and describe because I promise people would form incorrect notions of the experience of this player. The best way I can say it, and I'd like to see if Carl agrees, is imagine a digital source that has all the attractive qualities that digital can offer in terms of ultimate resolution, low noise etc, and has absolutely none of the qualities we have have grown to despise. So far in my experiece the CD50 stands in a class of its own at a price point that is absurd in comparison. I wouldn't even call it a giant killer because I think whoever designed this player has taken it in a totally different direction than what is considred the best digital available today. It is unique in the best possible way.
I have the Resolution Audio CD55 It replaced the CD50, which replaced the Levinson39, which replaced the Accuphase DP65 It is a new step above what I had considered to be the very best sounding (hands down) one box player It is 24/96 but better yet Michael has a propreitary new upsampling algorithm from 44.1khz to over 700khz/24 bits It is stunning It still has an awesome dedicated internal pre-amp analog volume control I run it direct into my Lamm monoblocks into VonSchweikert VR6's Detail from 20-20k. No hash no grain no drop out of detail like digital volume controls It is killer
Yes, Petland, I agree. For example, I had to upgrade my vinyl front end, just to keep up with the CD50 in several ways, one being string tone (from cellos to violins). I went from a Benz Glider to a Lo4, in order to do this. Of course the vinyl is now better in every way by a goodly margin, but the CD50 is just intoxicating to listen to............Accujim, how nice for you. But, Petland and I will be enjoying our CD50's for quite some time, and will enjoy the money we saved over buying the new CD55, because the CD50 at its used price surely must be an even better buy than the 55 when new....not that the 55 isn't a world beater, I'm sure it is. Happy listening.
Just wanted to add my vote for the Levison No.39. In my judgement (opinion), nothing else in a one-piece unit comes close to the musicality, smoothness, openess, etc. It's the only CD player I could ever listen to at high volume with no fatique.