Lamm LP2 Deluxe vs. Manley Steelhead

Has anyone (mike lavigne, gladstone, etc.) had the chance to A/B the Lamm LP2 Delux with the Manley Steelhead; and if so, with what cartridges and associated gain/loading? Although, I like the flexibility the Steelhead offers (over the Lamm), I was a bit concerned about the Fremer's 12/02 comments that the Manley "can sometimes sound a bit mechanical on top." Appreciate your thoughts.

Regards,
rvlardon
128x128rvlardon
Mike, Glad to see how we are spending our Holiday! Interestingly enough the factory preset input impedance is 40 not 400 ohms for the LP2 according to the specs on Lamm's website -- that is what really had me concerned as I found it unusually low. I'm beginning to think that there must be other factors that come into play that preclude one from comparing various load presets from one mfgr's phono stage to another. Perhaps apples really aren't apples?
Mike/Gladstone,

Since you guys are some of the more knowledgable analogue guys around, would you both look at my audiogon query, "MCs to load or not to load: that is the question" posted a few days ago. I'd appreciate your specific input. Thanks!
Gladstone,

Could you tell me what replacement tubes you used in your Manley, their cost and if anything else had to be done or did you just do a plug and play? Thanks.
Rvlardon, thanks for the correction.....i mean't 40 ohms not 400 ohms.

i don't think i'm very expert on the loading issue. my first few cartridges seemed happiest at 47k ohms, more top end air and openness.....which i liked. that was when i was using the Aesthetix Io phono stage (which turned out to be have a slightly 'dark' character in contrast to the Lamm). the Lamm has always seemed more detailed and open than the Aesthetix Io even at 40 ohms. if i had the Manley i might be end up someplace else if i played with the adjustments.
I would like do not comment on Lamm/Steelhead sonic qualities but I would like to point out that the “flexibilities” that you pointed out hav a dark side. (Not to mention all those unnecessary in a serious phonocorrector volume controls, mono switchs, needless extra stages and so on…) Yes, it is "cool" to be able to adjust the input C and R but do not forger then you bringing that 0.2 mV signal over all those switches. Many people after thy have found the correct setting take all these switches out. You would need that “flexibility” once in 3-5 years when you get a new cartridge but you will experience the sonic degradations as the result of those “flexibilities” dally.