Heat Shrink Tubing - How ???

I want to fix up some bulk speaker cable with spades for a small bedroom system. The store has some assorted pre-cut plastic heat shrink tubing I could use to dress it up. If I get some how do I shrink it?? Hair dryer??
sugarbrie
Sugarbrie, I've found a small $20.00 heat gun like you buy at a hardware store works much better than a hair drier. Hair driers I've tried don't generate enough heat.
A hair dryer will work. I also tried a candle, but you have to hold the tubing well above the flame or you will get smoke marks on the tubing. The best way is to get a heat gun - they sell as low as $19 - from your local hardware or Sears.
Move the wire racks of a kitchen oven to allow yourself room. Preheat an oven to 400 degree (F). Hold the wire end (just off the head shrink) with a pair of tongs.

Open the oven door. (careful, there will be a blast of hot air) Insert the tongs holding the wire. Do not allow the wire to touch anything. The heatshrink should do its thing within 3-10 seconds. Remove from oven as soon as the shrink has shrunk.

Good luck.

P.S. You could also use a heat gun, available at Sears or Home D.
I use a std soldering iron to gently rub the heat shrink tubing to start the reduction process.This way you can also "form" the tubing around the wire..etc. as the tubing shrinks.

Ken