24 bit 96khz. whats the deal?

do you only get the full benifit of 24/96 with 24/96 recorded discs. will it make any difference with normal CD's and DVD's.
kacz
An UPSAMPLER that takes the standard 16 bit 44.1 CD digital output and upsamples to 24 bit 96khz which has interpolative algorithms and is then D to A decoded by a 24bit 96 khz can make almost astonishing improvements on standard CDs. Until recently the best known units were from dCS and were five figure investment. Just recently MSB and Perpetual technologies have released much more reasonable products. I'll have them to compare in about two weeks and will report back.
IN REGARD TO YOUR QUESTION AS TO WHETHER "IT" MAKES ANY DIFFERENCE WITH NORMAL CD's, I BELIEVE YOU MIGHT FIND YOUR TIME WELL SPENT, AS I DID, IF YOU WERE TO PICK UP STEREOPHILE MAGAZINE'S APRIL 99 ISSUE (VOL 22 NO. 4) IN WHICH YOU'LL FIND A VERY INFORMATIVE INTERVIEW WITH MUSE ELECTRONIC'S DESIGN ENGINEER KEVIN HALVERSON (DESIGNER OF THE ORIGINAL UNIVERSAL I2S INTERFACE) ENTITLED, "MUSING ON 24/96." THIS HIGHLY INFORMATIVE IN-DEPTH INTERVIEW IS ALSO FOLLOWED UP WITH A GREAT REVIEW (CULMINATING IN A CLASS "A" RECOMMENDED COMPONENT RATING) OF THE MUSE MODEL EIGHT DVD/CD TRANSPORT AND THE 296 DVD/CD PROCESSOR COMBO. IN THIS REVIEW, STEREOPHILE MAGAZINE'S SHANNON DICKSON REPORTED "I CONSISTENTLY PREFERRED THE SOUND OF RECORDED MUSIC PLAYED THROUGH THE I2S-EQUIPPED MODEL EIGHT AND 296 FRONT-END OVER THAT OF ANY OTHER SOURCE I'VE HAD IN MY HOME--INCLUDING CD,DVD, OR LP." DURING THE COURSE OF HIS AUDITION MR. SHANNON FURTHER STATED "I WAS CONFIDENT THAT THE HIGH-END MUSE GEAR WOULD SET A NEW BENCHMARK OF REALISM PLAYING DVD's. BUT I WASN'T PREPARED FOR WHAT THEY DID FOR ORDINARY CD's." IN THE CONCLUSION OF HIS REVIEW MR. DICKSON STATED "I'VE BOUGHT MORE THAN 20 CD's IN JUST THE PAST MONTH-- A BINGE UNLIKE ANY I CAN REMEMBER. PERHAPS THAT SAYS IT BEST OF ALL." I THINK YOU SHOULD BE AWARE HOWEVER, SUCH RESULTS ARE NOT TO BE EXPECTED TO SUCH A DEGREE WITH ANYTHING LESS THAN TRUE HI-END GEAR, SUCH AS THAT DESIGNED BY MUSE A PIONEER IN THE FIELD OF TECHNICAL DEVELOPMENT OF DISC AUTHORING, AS WELL AS RECORDING AND PLAYBACK HARDWARE FOR THE 24-BIT/96kHz AAD's (ADVANCED AUDIO DISCS). IF YOU LIKE, PLEASE GET BACK TO ME AS I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ARRANGE TO HAVE A FULL REPRINT COPY SENT TO YOU.
Upsampling is what really makes the difference. If you ever look at test bench measurements, the best quality dual differential 20 bit DACS still have a definite performance advantage over affordable non-upsampling 24/96 DACs like the standard MSB link (when playing CD's). BUT WITH UPSAMPLING, THE ADVANTAGE GOES DEFINITELY TOWARDS THE UPSAMPLING CONVERTER/DAC COMBO, whether it's relatively cheap or not. MAKE NO MISTAKE, the dCS combos still beat everything else by a landslide! And as for affordable upsampling, the Bel Canto DAC-1 soundly beats the MSB Link with upsampling option...for now anyway.
...............THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO EVERYBODY........................................................Ive heard great things about all these products. I think i'll check out some of the stereophile archives and read more about them........
I am awaiting arrival of a Denon AVR5700. I have the Sony DVD 7700. Both state true 24/96 capability, I think without downconversion. If this is so will this improve my standard CD listening or must I have a 24/96 disc to hear any improvement? I am using the Sony DVD player for audio temporarily until money is saved for the SACD player. Vey interesting chat. Thanks, Martin Butler