Does it hurt when you sell at a loss?

I've been into this audio hobby for 30 years, and I am afraid to actually tally up the money I have spent, as well as the money I have lost when I have either sold or traded in equipment. I'm sure there are other hobbies and habits that can cost quite a bit, but I have to wonder, when I see a Linn CD12 up for sale for 11k, does the original owner actually lose 9k in the process. How does everyone justify this behavior, or are we trapped psychologically somehow?
Thanks I would appreciate some feedback.
cody
The pain of selling near-new that you paid retail for and getting approx. 50% of retail would be unbearable, IMO. If somebody paid $20K for the CD12 within the past couple years and is now taking a $9K loss to sell, I have to wonder what they're moving to.

Selling at a loss is painful if you bought the piece just "to try it out". You lose money a few times, you become a lot more patient when buying a piece for that reason. Selling at a loss something you paid 50% of retail a couple years ago, used it for a couple years and now sell for 40% of retail is rational (at least in audiophile terms), and not too painful. -Kirk

The beauty and power of the Internet has provided a means to buy and sell components, and minimize the loss. I have bought and sold on AudiogoN. Paid too much for some things and saved lots on others, and it nets out.
The market forces will challenge hi end manufactors and conventional retail outlets to adopt to the e-business model.
I agree with Kirk above. I never buy for less than 20-30% off list if new and 40-50% off list if used less than 2 years old. And I usually keep the equipment I buy for a period of time say 5 years. My current CD player is 10 years old and I am looking to upgrade. The rest of my equipment is less than 2 years old.
Everything I own (cars and audio gear) is used. I still take a hit when I sell put it's a smaller hit and not a painful.