Ipod Server-Why not?

I ripped my CD's Apple lossless and play thru my Krell Kid dock. I have shuffle, playlists, etc at my finger tips even a remote control I even prefer the sound (balanced out into Cary SLP03 tube pre and Spectron amp) vs my Rotel RCD 1520 cd player and Oppo 83SE.

I have been looking a computer audio wondering what I would gain by going that way? I have been considering the Mach2Server probably with a Rega DAC. I could try the Wadia dock/Rega DAC combo vs the Krell but wonder if the computer server would offer sound advantages I am not getting now? FLAC?

I dont really care for using the computer in my sound room.
stl114_nj
Why don't you try the Pure iPod doc..... Digital out from your iPod just like the wadia......But only$100.

Computer audio can be really good but in my experience you need a good USB-spdif converter like V link, Hiface,
Stello etc as well as the dac........ Unless you get the JKDAC

Mac mini also gives you TV interaction

I replaced a wadia: iPod setup with a Mac mini, sounds better and is more tweakable using software players.
hi, i use the pure i-20 dock[ if you have an ipod set up right it is the best 100 bucks you can spend] and also have computers set up for audio. at times it is very convenient to just let the ipod run and the sound quality is good. but other times i like to check out new music streamed from MOG which is hard to beat for 5 dollars a month subscription. i agree with naggots on this as i have a mac with pure music installed for the best sound quality.
I think using a laptop can be more convenient. With the iPod you basically have to keep it in the dock cradle. Whic is a PITA when you want to change albums or titles. With a laptop you can use iTunes, get an iTouch, use the router, download the iTunes app on the iTouch and have total control of your library wirelessly. Once implemented it's basically set and forget. I use the Cary Xciter DAC.
Yup, a computer like the Mini will provide you with infinitely greater flexibility (ie, anything you might do with a computer), customizability (different software-end players or addons are just the start), tweakability (yes, anything you might change or upgrade on a computer you can change or upgrade on a computer, who knew), infinitely scalable storage space (and cheap, very fond of an Oyen digital FireWire RAID, damn sexy tech), AND may well sound better -- or at least very much have the potential to sound better -- to boot. Is that any reason not to use and enjoy an iPod as a digital source -- with the caveat that as long as you're running lossless files native format digital out and bypassing the junk inboard DAC -- no reason at all. If you're enjoying it, do. But rest assured that if (or as things go in this "hobby", I suspect when) you find yourself longing to explore whether there's more to be gleaned from the format, rest assured that there is.