Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
OK Gary/Goper, lets get some things straight and clear the air.

1) YOU NEVER told me it was a very early prototype or that it was not supposed to be demoed by anyone and not a commercial DAC. I would have told you not to bother as I would have no clue what it would ultimately sound like.

I requested a DSD DAC that I could evaluate AND also have heard by fellow Club Members and at an up coming Club meeting. Weeks earlier when Luksz was at one of our meetings, from my invite, we discussed with him about coming back in January so we could dedicate a whole meeting to the Lampi.

The Lampi you sent me came much later then you had said I should expect it, I had to email you several times for updates. When it finally did arrive I started to have MAJOR health issues, which I have just started to finally get some relief from, I hope.

Because that DAC had NO volume control/preamp functions I informed you that I could not evaluate it in my system as I had no preamp. So I requested one with a preamp function.

2) That is also when I informed you that if you can get me a replacement ASAP it would be used at the upcoming Club Meeting that was about digital audio.
You were very gracious to offer your brand new DAC and had it sent to me. I also extended in invite to you to the Club meeting so you could be there to make sure all went well.
You also informed me that there may be an issue when first setting it up and to call your tech guy if needed.

Yes, I never took your DAC out of the box. I really felt uncomfortable using your personal DAC and since the host for the meeting had a preamp we could use the DSD DAC. So we did use the DSD only DAC at the meeting and it was liked by about half the club. Not a bad showing for a (unknown to be) early prototype DSD DAC.

Because I was getting sicker and I had no way of knowing when I would have a good day or bad it took me a a little longer then I would have liked to return it. But it was not long by any means. And I did mention to you that I was not feeling very well.

I even mentioned to you that what I heard with Lukasz was so great but that what I heard at the Club meeting was good but just did not sound the same as with Lukasz. I asked you could there be something wrong with the DAC.
Not once did you say that it was an early prototype, as that might have explained it in my mind.

As an example as how bad I have been the last several months, I have not made any of the two Clubs meetings I belong too for the last six months until two weeks ago. I have also been on a leave of absence from work as it is very difficult to leave the house on most days.

Gary, if you had a beef with me you have my email and cell. All you had to do is talk to me.

And what is so wrong in with my posts?? You NEVER stipulated that I could NOT post my impressions or my fellow Club Members.

Is it that you want NO BAD/MEDIOCRE/WHATEVER impressions of the Lampi?!

Lets get something straight for not just you but for everyone.
I CALL THEM AS I SEE THEM. I HAVE NO ALLEGIANCE OR AFFILIATION TO ANYONE. IF AND WHEN I DO I WILL DISCLOSE IT.

BUT I DO RESPECT WHEN SOMEONE REQUESTS NONDISCLOSURE.

When finale thought. If I some how misunderstood you Gary I whole heartedly apologize.

Alright, one more finale thought. I still hope to hear a PCM/DSD Lampizator DAC with preamp function (not a top of the line one)in a worthwhile system. I epect to over the next few weeks/months, health willing. I would love to confirm the great sound I heard that day that Lukasz played his DSD only DAC at the end of our Club Meeting last fall.
Winson, I have an update on the Meitner vs Phasure.

"Strange that HiFiAL says that the Meitner beat the Lampi DSD-Dac, when Bruce Brown said it beat his reference MPD5 (Playback Designs). I also concur after listing to both extensively"

Since my post about the above months ago I have found out why the Meitner did so poorly vs the Phasure. I also have had a chance to hear them both vs each other in two different systems, but one being the original system I first heard them in.

I will post my update in a few days
Hi Al,

I’m a laid back guy and enjoyed meeting you at Deepaks. I don’t want to get into an argument and appreciate what you tried to do for us. I know you had mentioned a stomach bug at the time, but wasn’t aware it was serious... I sincerely hope you are feeling better.

I’m not upset about how the meet went down or what happened in the past... Life happens! I also do welcome feedback and discussion good and bad. It’s a subjective hobby and we cannot win them all, but I felt some critical information was omitted.

1. You heard a prototype of the DAC and you absolutely loved it:

“After several hours of listening to the system including DSD from SACD through the EMM LABS Father Richards was gracious enough in letting Lukasz put in his DSD DAC. I brought some DSD files that Lukasz could add to what he planed on playing.

But before I describe what happens next let me tell you that Lukasz gave us a brief description of his work on DSD and thoughts on Audio. He also spent time in awe while listening to music through the system before we inserted his DSD DAC.

It only took a few bars of music for EVERYONE in the room to be able to hear what Lukasz's DSD DAC could do for the playback of music. You could hear people all over the room surprised at how well both Lukasz's DSD DAC and DSD done right could sound. AWE STRUCK is not significant enough to describe it.

Even Lukasz said he did not know it could sound that great.

ALL felt it OUTCLASSED the EMM LABS.”

2. After getting a dac to you we discussed it on the telephone and you informed me something was wrong and it wasn’t as clean as what you heard previously which led me to the immediate realization you had gotten the wrong unit (an experiment with very poor sounding Chinese polyp capacitors) with from our tech.

I admittedly did not ask you to remain silent with respect to what you or others heard, but I did explain there was a mixup and that was NOT what we wanted anyone evaluating. You understood fully and wanted to schedule another time to hear the Lampi in proper form (which I did and do appreciate!).

3. My Big 5 DSD was a finished product and what I wanted to be heard at the meet. There wasn’t anything funky about the DAC’s setup, but I was going to be unavailable by phone at the time of the meet, so I wanted to make sure you had our tech’s number in case you had any issues at all. I understand with your illness you didn’t get to it. I know your intentions were good and appreciate you trying.

Having said all that, my issue is that despite the above you chose to write about the prototype we never meant to be evaluated as if it were a finished product and rank it below Meitner and Phasure on a public forum.
Gopher and HiFial -

I think I speak for everyone here when I ask that you take this outside please.

I have noting to add until my DAC's arrive, so I welcome anyone elses input on anyting dac related that add's to this threads topic. But I don't think we all want to get in the middle of what you guys are doing...

Thanks.