Need help - Set up Helikon using test LP

Over the weekend, I was setting up my Helikon on a Vpi JMW 10.5 arm using the Hifi News test LP and I ran into some problems. The table was a Vpi Aries.

There are four tracks (6 to 9) on the test LP to help setting up the anti-skate. They are 300Hz pure tones. Each track is a few db louder than the one before.

I played the lowest level track (track 6) and it was fine. The 300Hz tone was beautifully reproduced on both channels with equal loudness.

I than played the next louder track (track 7). The right channel immediately buzzed, indicating the need for anti-skate adjustments. I tried twisting the arm leads both clockwise and counterclockwise, one turn at a time, up to 3 turns; but the right channel buzz still persisted.

I also played the track 8, which is a few db louder than track 7. This time the right channel buzzed loudly for a couple of seconds and it jumped track.

The Aries has been perfectly leveled. I checked it with a bubble level and a 10” carpenter level.

The tracking force was set at between 1.75g and 1.80g; it is difficult to be exact due to the limited resolution of the Shure gauge. But in any case, it is at the maximum recommended value so I doubt that was the cause.

The arm was running dry, no damping oil added.

Has anyone tried this? Any help/comments will be greatly appreciated.
sidssp
Twl,

Thank you for pointing this out. I wish I had read your post so I would not have made the costly mistake. Despite the tracking problem, I do love how it sounds.
P.S. I just ordered the HR record yesterday. I will try it on my VPI Aries/10.5/Helikon and then switch to my Benz m2.......I should report back in a week!
I just want to report back what I did.

I spent the past weekend readjusting everything of the JMW 10.5. I increased the tracking to 1.85g. I also tried 1.9g as suggested by VPI but I found the piano lost some of its resonance. I like it better at 1.85g. VTA was adjusted using the tube level method I described in another post. I twisted the arm wire counterclockwise two turns and warmed it with a hair dryer until it formed a nice smooth arc. I lowered the arm base so that the arm bearing barely touched the damping oil. To adjust the azimuth, I lowered the Helikon onto the back (glassy) side of a one-sided 45-rpm record, looked thought a 10x magnifying glass, and adjusted the azimuth ring until the reflection of the stylus and the stylus lined up.

So what was the result? Well, track 6 was as beautiful as before, very stable, pure tone, absolutely no problem. There was improvement on track 7. The right channel still buzz a little but the buzz faded in and out. It sounded like it was at the edge, almost sail through but not quite. It still jump track on 8, no change. I don’t know what else I can do to improve it. I am afraid this might be the tracking limit of the Helikon with the JMW.

Anyone got better results?
Cp, sorry if I overdid it. Sometimes it seems like I'm not getting through to everyone.