OK.......I need more info on the Shelter 901......

.....cartridge, but can't find out who is the manufacturer, what type it is (MM or MC) will it work with my ARC PH 3SE and VPI Aries and JWM 10.5????? TWL (or anyone else), you seem to know quite a bit about this unit...help, please. Thanks!
rwd
It's already Friday, and I haven't even had time to turn the sytem on to warm it up. I will be out of town this weekend. So, hopefully I will have time Monday....
Frank,

I have a Shelter 901/SME(309 and VI) on Michell Gyrodec to Audio research PH3SE. Gain is more than enough. Believe it or not Shelter's 0.5mv rating is giving equivalent output of 0.9mv of Benz Glider or 1.0mv output of Van Den Hul cartridges. My preamp volume level is actually much lower when I use Shelter than 0.6mv Koetsu.
Thanks for the info! The box has been sitting there for over three weeks. I just haven't got the time to switch the cartridges. At this rate, I think I might not get to it until Thanksgiving week when I plan to take that week off.

Frank
Hi guys ...

Glad I found this thread. I have a ARC PH3SE and was thinking about the Shelter 901 as my next purchase. I have a modified Well Tempered table and arm. What do you all think about using this combo with the Shelter? I have used a variety of cartriges in the past, including the Clavis, which sounded fantistic. I'm presently using a Grado ... great midrange but I WANT MORE! hee, hee. Thanks for your responses.

Frank
Frank, for your Well-Tempered arm, I'd suggest the ZYX R-100 Fuji instead of the Shelter 901. The ZYX Fuji is in the same sonic category with the Shelter, but has higher compliance which would be better with your arm. The ZYX is a little higher in price, but still under $2k(barely) and is an awesome cartridge. The Shelter has a tad better bass and excels on large-scale music, and the ZYX is better on the small-scale music. This is splitting hairs, because they both are superb. ZYX is a better match for your arm though.