How much does rock-solid speed stability cost?

I've been shopping for a new turntable and have found out I am very sensitive to speed variations. I listened to several belt driven tables and couldn't find one I could tolerate (Man, the P3 was bad). I thought the Nottingham Spacedeck was going to work, but after a second listen, it started to bug me also. So I had a bright idea - why don't I get an SL1200 from Crutchfield. It's supposed to be very stable. If I don't like it I can return it.

Well, crap! It's just as bad as the others. Average speed is fine, but it's sharp, then flat, then sharp ... Anything with a pure tone like piano, french horn, or flugelhorn has audible flutter. I have a hard time finding ANY recording that doesn't do this.

I guess almost 20 years of listening to nothing but CDs has ruined me. My big question to y'all is...Is this just the way analog is, and it's probably not for me? Or, can spending more money fix the problem? I only have about 200 records, most collected from mid '70s through early '80s. I really can't justify spending more than $2000 on a turntable and arm. I haven't heard the VPI Scout or the Basis 1400. Will they do the trick, or does it cost a lot more to get the level of performance I need?
nighthawk
Psychicanimal, I'm not trying to be contentious but rythmic patterns don't show up the kind of pitch variation I'm talking about. Sustained pure notes do. I listen to mostly jazz and classical which show this effect quite often. I've had the SL1200 for about a week and have played around 50 records on it. Most don't have any eccentricity at all. I vaguely remember the NAK deck. Early '80s, I believe.
Psychicanimal, I thought you might be interested in a recent development. I've been using a Shure V15VMR with the SL1200. I had been using the VTF set at 1.5g, as recommended, when using the dynamic stabilizer and a target VTF of 1g is desired. With this setup I could hear pitch variations on pretty much every record.

Next, I tried disabling the stabilizer and setting the VTF to 1g. Whoa! Much better. Tracking is not so good on warped records, though. This got me to thinking, maybe the stabilizer in subtracting more than .5g. I re-enabled the stabilizer and set the VTF to 1.7g which should give a net VTF of 1.2g, which is near the top of the recommended range for the V15. I suspect the actual VTF is less, but I don't know of a way to verify this. Anyway, the pitch variation is almost completely gone! I still hear it on records with off-center holes, but a good record sounds fine. I've changed my mind on the SL1200. I think I'll keep it:)

Anybody know why this is so? I know the V15 is high compliance. Could the suspension, in a lightly loaded state, been resonating to cause a sound like flutter?
Nighthawk,

I also use the v15vxmr and have noticed the difference the tracking force can make when using the stabilizer. I could be way off, but I think of it much like the loading of the suspension on a car. I think of the little brush as a spring. If the tracking force is light, as shure recommends, there is less loading on the stabilizer and it's "shock absorbtion" is slower to react or has a greater distance to move, however you want to look at it, but the effect is that some of the load is taken off the cantelever. When we set the VTF higher we have forced the loading on the stabilizer and also the cantelever so the whole mechanism is quicker to react and get back down in the groove because it doesn't move as far vertically. BTW, I also notice more sibilance with the lighter VTF.

In anycase, I agree that it does sound better with the stabilizer in place and with the higher VTF.
interesting thread. there is a review by Peter Moncrieff that will tell you (in his opinion) way more than you might want to know about speed issues with turntables.

turntable speed

the review is about the Rockport Sirius III. after owning a few very good turntables, including the VPI TNT and the Basis 2500, i can say that when the speed is perfect IT does make an astonishing difference in the basic reality of the music. if you read the review it will give you a deeper understanding of some of the issues involved.....even if you don't completely agree with some of what he writes.

whichever turntable you choose, consider a product such as the VPI SDS, which will allow you to correct the speed on A/C syncronous motors.

to answer your question......it costs alot to truely achieve rock-solid speed stability. i would add that there are many very good turntables that do a very good job in this area.....but any/every belt driven tt has it's limitations.
I always tought that a brush attached to any cartridge had to have some deleterious effects...

I knew the 1200 couldn't be at fault unless it was defective. The issue of speed/rotational stability to me is sooo important--you guys see me posting it over and over and over.

Yesterday I oiled my 1200 and the audible improvement was nothing short of stunning! The manual states every 2000 hrs, and I've had the TT working for 1-1/2 years (put away for the last six months). There's no way I could have played 3,000 records on both sides, but I saw a post in the Asylum stating that oiling should be done every year, so I went ahead and used 3 in 1 (with Kevin's approval). WOW! I was playing a salsa record which I know very well and the before and after was stunning!!! The bass was fuller and tighter, the percussion was snappy and with a very fast attack (especially the timbales!), the voices were sharp and well defined; sibilinace was softer. The soundstage became bigger and overall, the music was more penetrating and intense. Member Jahaira had told me a few weeks ago that he oiled his platter and the servo arm in his JVC TT and had a similar experience.

The way I look at it is that there was still oil in the bottom of the spindle, but that oiling the bronze bushing damped the rotation, providing a smoother operation, less noise and less speed correction from the Quartz lock drive. I also noticed that female voices were getting raspier towards the end of records and Kevin had suggested me I coud have damaged my modded Groovemaster by using it the first week @ 2g tracking weight. Not so. Now the voices and the overall presentation are smoother and extended.

Nighthawk, my suggestion is to get rid of the Type V damper and get yourself the KAB tonearm fluid damper. Zaikesman wrote a review and he's using a Benz Glider MC with his 1200:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?raccs&1033259530&read&3&4&

This issue of the platter providing the time domain is really important. The belt drive crowd doesn't seem to get it. I've gone through all these efforts of modding the 1200 because there is simply no TT around it that can deliver the needed speed/rotational stability. After this experience with oiling the bearing I truly believe the 1200's outboard power supply is going to be a very welcome addition to my system.

Just wondering, is there anything out (current production model) in between the Rockport and the Technics 1200?