New TT for around 2000--- need some advice

Hi all, I'm looking to spend about 2k on table and arm to upgrade from my Rega P25.
I was thinking gof a VPI Mk IV with a Rega arm but I really don't know what else is out there. I have a small room so vibrations are a concern for me and I thought a suspension tt would be the ticket. I have now heard good things about the Teres turntables but haven't investigated it too much....

I was looking for some advice on which tt would be a good option for me. Should I save for an Aries, stick with the mk IV or maybe the Teres or some other company I have yet to hear of. I am looking for an intimate sound with a controlled taut bass and a wide soundstage while retaining the timing thing I think the Rega has going for it. I like my P25 but want to know what the next level is like. Thanks in advance for ANY advice and happy listening!
-Vik
vikkysingh
I have found the Sota TTs to be better sounding than the comparable VPI. COntact Sota and see if they even have a rebuilt table in your price range. If you are interested TRY:
WWW.SOTATURNTABLES.COM
Happy hunting.
When I was shopping for a replacement for my p25, I too looked into the 2000-2500 range. My top choices in order where the:

1. Nottingham Spacedeck with space arm and dynavector cartridge. This is a stellar performer at the 2500 mark. It has a little snap to it like the rega, but a much weightier presentation.

2. Just putting an Exact cartridge on the p25, hotrodding the arm with a weight and wires, then putting the table on a mag lev platform. Cost around $1000. I did buy the maglev platform and it did indeed improve the table.

3. A Basis 1400 with a hotrodded rb250 arm.

4. A Teres with an ebay arm and cart. I decided against this approach because it seemed like I was hitting 4-5K by the time I was done & I still wouldn't be guaranteed a properly working table. If I were more of an expert I would have gone for it. Looks like a great product.

Try and buy locally. Tables are VERY easy to damage in packing/shipping/unpacking.
I have heard very good things about the Teres, but have not listened to one myself. I bought a Nottingham Spacedeck/Spacearm combo and have been thrilled. You should be able to find both for around your price (or less)used. Had a P25, which the 'Not just blows away. IMHO, I think one needs to go up to the TNT line in VPI to better the Spacedeck. If ya have a chnace, though, audition several and buy the one that sounds best to YOU.
I can well understand why people are hesitant to buy a TT that they have not heard. I was faced with that myself, when I was considering the Teres. At the time I bought, there were less than 200 Teres TT's total ever made. Yes, I have a little more analog experience than many, but essentially, I took a chance based on my knowledge of proper design and some testimonials. I got lucky. It kicks ass. I can't decide for you. I can only tell you of my experiences. Any of the tables mentioned above are very good tables. You will be pleased with any of them. It is simply my opinion that the Teres will exceed their peformance at less cost. Others may disagree. There are Teres owners here on this board, and on the Vinyl Asylum, who basically all say what I am saying, so I am not alone in this opinion. It's your choice.
Of course I must prefix all of this by stating up front that I am a Nottingham dealer...

But I would have to concur with the statements made reagarding the Nottingham Space Deck. Personally I prefer even the Interspace/Interspace Arm combo to the P25. The P9 is better, especially with the new arm, but the Space Deck and Space Arm combo cannot be beat without spending a lot more money, and it leaves the P9 well behind sonically.

We used to do a lot with VPI but now we pretty much just sell Nottingham because I think it's a far better value for the money. Yes the high end VPI tables such as the TNT are excellent. I do believe the Nottingham is superior in every way to the Aries tables and the Nottingham arms are also outstanding.