New TT for around 2000--- need some advice

Hi all, I'm looking to spend about 2k on table and arm to upgrade from my Rega P25.
I was thinking gof a VPI Mk IV with a Rega arm but I really don't know what else is out there. I have a small room so vibrations are a concern for me and I thought a suspension tt would be the ticket. I have now heard good things about the Teres turntables but haven't investigated it too much....

I was looking for some advice on which tt would be a good option for me. Should I save for an Aries, stick with the mk IV or maybe the Teres or some other company I have yet to hear of. I am looking for an intimate sound with a controlled taut bass and a wide soundstage while retaining the timing thing I think the Rega has going for it. I like my P25 but want to know what the next level is like. Thanks in advance for ANY advice and happy listening!
-Vik
vikkysingh

Showing 3 responses by twl

Actually the next step up from your P25 would be the MkIV, and a modified RB250 would be a nice arm on it. However, if you want to take 2 or 3 steps up from the P25 and still not pay any more money than a new MkIV, then just get the Teres Model 245. It is under $2k without arm. If you need to stay under $2k with arm, then get the Model 135 with a modded RB250. Upgrade later. If you just want to be done with it, then get the Teres 255, which is about $2500 w/o arm, and is one of the best TT's in the world. They all use the same main bearing assembly, which should tell you something about the value of the Model 135. You were expecting me to say something different? Not till I find a better value.
I can well understand why people are hesitant to buy a TT that they have not heard. I was faced with that myself, when I was considering the Teres. At the time I bought, there were less than 200 Teres TT's total ever made. Yes, I have a little more analog experience than many, but essentially, I took a chance based on my knowledge of proper design and some testimonials. I got lucky. It kicks ass. I can't decide for you. I can only tell you of my experiences. Any of the tables mentioned above are very good tables. You will be pleased with any of them. It is simply my opinion that the Teres will exceed their peformance at less cost. Others may disagree. There are Teres owners here on this board, and on the Vinyl Asylum, who basically all say what I am saying, so I am not alone in this opinion. It's your choice.
I have a wooden floor and it doesn't bother my TT at all. I use no isolation, and in fact, I use a rigid coupling to the floor. This sounds best with my TT and I still get no vibration problems. My TT is a mass-loaded type, and has no suspension. It weighs about 55 pounds. The stand weighs another 50 pounds.

Tagyerit, the VTA adjustment is relative to the brand of arm you buy. Some have it, some don't. Some have VTA adjusters that you have to stop the TT and adjust, and some have VTA on-the-fly. On-the-fly is best, but it is usually only on the more expensive arms, and even some of those don't have it.