Rookie questions - toneam and cartridge

Hi all! I'm fairly new to the analog scene and I'm hoping I can get some good advice. I recently aquired an older JVC turntable. I know that's not a name that inspires any awe in the turntable world, but this model (QL-Y66F) seems very well built and in excellent shape. At any rate, it's just an experiment for me...

My first question regards the tonearm. The unit came with two tonearms - one S-shaped and the other straight. The manual mentions them both but says nothing about why one would choose one over the other. Can anyone give me some insight here?

My second question is about the choice of cartridge. Currently the unit has a Shure M91ED. I have no idea what the condition is, but I have found several place which stock replacement stylii for this cartridge, so it would be easy and cheap enough to freshen it up. The question is whether or not to bother. Is this a decent and appropriate cartridge for the turntable or should I look into another cartridge altogether? And if so (new cartridge), what would be a good suggestion in an inexpensive cartridge? I don't want to over-equip the turntable in terms of a high-end cartridge. If I decide I like analog enough, I'll likely dump this turntable in time and pick up something better.

Thanks for your suggestions,
RLW
phydeaux
Thanks everyone for the information and your suggestions. I'll certainly look into getting a better cartridge. Fortunately, I have not yet heard this unit (and been turned off by the poor cartridge), since I first must get a preamp with a phono stage - but that's a whole 'nother story...

Regards,
RLW
RLW- If you are happy with your pre-amp and just need a phono pre-amp, the $30 phono pre from Rat Shack will do for now. There are also some other entry level phono pre's from $100 to $300 on the used market. After you decide what you are going to do over the long term, you can investigate some nicer phono pre's.

There are only a handful of pre-amps that have a decent phono section, so you widen the potential field of pre-amps and phono pre's if you go with separates.

regards
Jim
Jim - Well, that's what I meant by "a whole 'nother story...". You see, I'm kind of a minimalist kind of guy and right now I don't own a preamp. I have a CD player with a variable output directly connected to my power amp. I love the way it sounds and I'm loathe to change it, but obviously I must...

RLW
RLW- I think there is a way to hook up the phono directly to the amp and have volume control as you have done with your CDP. This may be a function of certain types of phono stages and might be somewhat expensive. I think there is also a simple switching method so you could switch between CDP and phono.

I have no real knowledge of this kind of arrangement, but vaguely recall hearing of such things. Maybe one of our bretheren could shed some light on this?

Regards
Jim
i believe that s-shaped lower-priced arm will certainly perform better than lower-priced straight one. it's more forgiving tonearm to the turntable quality and precision that more and more present when you start looking for better turntables. at the same the straight tonearm has better resonance control and who knows it might or might not work better, but i would bet more in s-shaped in your situation for the most of the records.