optical or coaxial audio cable?

My Sony DVD player has both optical and coaxial digital outputs. Which do you think will give me the better sound?
twitt15aed
Nrenter...See page 25 of the ROTEL 1066 owners manual.

"If no digital signal is present the unit will automatically revert to the analog input".

That's the way mine works. Try this:

1. Connect coax and analog to an input.
2. On the OSD, select coax. The 1066 display says "Coaxial"
3. Play a CD.
4. While playing, disconnect the coax.
5. After a brief silence, the music resumes. The 1066 display "Coaxial" disappears.
Hmmm...interesting. Guess I was wrong. I've never really used the analog out of my digital source into the 1066.

If you have more than one analog input in use, which input will it default to?

Sorry for taking this thread WAY off topic.
Nrenter...It defaults to the analog signal that is designated for the same input selection as the digital signal. In my case I have Coaxial and 2-CH Analog DVD signals assigned to VIDEO 2, which I have labeled "DISC". If I play a regular CD, the digital input is used, and I utilize the D/A and surround sound capabilities of the ROTEL. If I play a stereo SACD there is no digital, so the analog signal is used, and I can listen to this without any processing using the "2 CH" stereo function, or I can make center front and/or surround channels. Of course a multichannel disc (SACD or DVD-A) is played using the discrete MULTI (5-channel) analog signals.

This ROTEL has a lot of features which have taken me a while to figure out, and I am sure that I haven't got them all down yet. The labeling feature is nice. I have my outboard phono preamp stage plugged into VIDEO 1, and the label says "PHONO".
Eldartford,

Can you tell a difference in sound between the MULTI inputs and the regular analog inputs? When I was doing my testing (several months ago) I thought that the MULTI inputs sounded better, so I run my turntable through the R/L of the MULTI inputs. According to Rotel, the signal path should be similar, but I thought that I could hear a difference.

Overall, I have been happy with my RSP-1066. For HT, I can't imagine spending any more (unless you really wanted lots of configuration options - crossovers per channel, more granular time delays, etc). As a combined 2 channel / HT pre-amp, it seems to fit my needs.
Nrenter...I have not compared the 2-CH analog input against the MULTI input (also analog). I would take ROTEL's word that it's the same signal. Of course if you use the MULTI input you forgo any capability for matrix multichannel playback of the stereo signal from that source (LP's in your case). I have a bunch of SQ quadraphonic LP's, and some other LP's that only claim to be stereo, but which respond well to matrix decoding.