Is computer audio a bust?

In recent months, I have had several audio acquaintances return to CDPs claiming improved SQ versus their highly optimized computer transports (SS drives, external power supplies, etc, etc).

I wanted to poll people on their experiences with computer "transports." What variables have had the most impact on sonics? If you bailed on computers, why?

I personally have always believed that the transport, whether its a plastic disc spinner or computer, is as or more important than the dac itself and thus considerable thought and energy is required.

agear
09-03-14: Charles1dad
Joe ,
I can appreciate you're happy with computer audio and that's fine. I guess you take this issue more seriously than I. For me they don't sound better and thus I felt no need to to take it further. You chose that direction and that's good for you. I see no point in turning this into some battle, it isn't that important. I'm forced to work with computers all day at work and feel comfortable with them. Just don't want them in my audio system at home, for those who do, enjoy.
Charles,
Charles1dad (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)
Frankly I could care less what anybody do except for myself. Like you, I'm just contributing and offering my .02. Nothing more and nothing less.
09-03-14: Phusis
Joecasey --

If I completely misread you reply, I'm sorry. Just forget my first one to you if I did..

This more recent dialogue is an half empty affair thanks to Joe audio jihadist Casey.
09-03-14: Phusis
Joecasey --

If I completely misread you reply, I'm sorry. Just forget my first one to you if I did..

This more recent dialogue is an half empty affair thanks to Joe-audio-jihadist-Casey. I am now thoroughly annoyed....
So there...posted twice for emphasis.

In all seriousness, it still intrigues me that plastic remains in the game due to perceptions of SQ superiority. I have been reading about the Devaliet stuff recently (thanks Erik), and even a reviewer type admitted to preferring the slightly more analog presentation of a Wadia spinner.

Again, for the record, I respect and believe my fellow philes who still cling to plastic (JesusaO/Danaiel, I was not trying to out you as a rube) in the name of SQ. I am not a true computer devotee but rather a lazy streamer type (Auralic Aries). Streaming technology can put you in the same ballpark as a computer and/or plastic spinner minus the hassles of either platform. Just my two cents. Arguably, it can still require modding or tweaking to to this, but I like to leave that up to people who feed their kids designing audio equipment rather than thumb my way through things as Joe DIY.