New Analog system. where to start?

I have never had that much interest in a tube/analog system but it seem as though after reading all the raves about the sound I want to take the plunge. I am going to use a CJ MV-60 for my power and I haven't decided on a turntable or pre yet. I am a complete novice in this area so any help from you tube or vinyl guru's would be GREATLY appreciated. I have a pair of Maggie 3.6's that I would like to use as my speakers but I am open to suggestions for other, more suitable speakers. I'd like to keep the turntable set-up around $1000 for now and the pre amp priced accordingly with the rest of the gear mentioned. Thanks guys.
kgb540
What is your current digital rig? I can give you an idea what you should aim for in terms of analogue. Buying a cheap TT/arm/cartridge/phono might dissapoint you too quickly.
I have no problem buying quality pre-owned equipment from sellers on audiogon that have a solid history.
My current digital set-up is a Plinius SA250MKIII amp and M16 pre, cd player is a Stan Warren modified Pioneer Elite PD93, my speaker are the above mentioned Maggie 3.6's. I have a very wide variety of musical taste so I can't specify one category the focus on, I will listen to it all. I appreciate all the suggestion so far! Thanks.
Everyone is going to have a different opinion, so here's another. I can't argue with the Rega arm suggestion since I am using an RB 900. I find the lack of VTA adjustment irritating. I do think you can do much better for a turntable though. I would suggest trying to find a used Sota Sapphire or Star. I've seen the Star selling for as little as $700 and Sapphires for much less. I've used both and currently run the Star. It smokes any VPI I have ever heard, and I've spent lots (too many) hours listening to the VPI HW 19. Based on what I've heard I would only change my Star for a better Sota table. I've spent lots of time on the phone with the people from Sota when I wanted to trade up from the Sapphire and they've been great to deal with.
For what it's worth vinyl is worth the effort and Sota made it even better for me.
nrchy
Rega 25 with Micro Benz will take you far enough into analogue to decide whether further investment is warranted. Used should run about $1000.
Higher end Regas such as Rega 9 and Rega 25 can easily "factored out" and changed for better table with cheaper RB300 arm giving much better result.
The above suggestion for HW19 is reasonable. I will add Basis 1400 with Basis RB300 arm. That combo easily "smokes" Rega 9/RB900. The possible carts can be used to complete success: Dynavector 20XL...H, Benz Micro Glider L2...M2...H2.