Shure V15--A Good Cartridge?

I've noticed that there seems to be violently mixed opinions on the Shure V15. The quotes from reviews are good, but then some people (mostly dealers) don't really seem to like it. One person commented that he thinks it's too bland, another says it's not good for anything but rock because it can't resolve complicated details. At the same time, however, one person (a dealer whom I respect) thinks it's a great cartridge for people with ordinary record collections, and I've heard some people say it's great for classical and jazz, and it does just fine with complicated musical details.

I am not in the market for a V15--now, at least--but I have been really wondering why the opinions are so mixed. Other cartridges seem to be pretty simple--the strengths and weaknesses are well known.
jc2000
I, too, love my VMR! Have'nt owned the newer version, yet. I
also own a Koetsu Rosewood Signature. Koetsu is definitely a
superior performer, but for the $-value, the Shure is the
winner. I actually use the Shure more than the Koetsu. I
believe that speaks volumes of the Shure. Thanks.
Hi-
Put me down on the list of those who think the V15 is non-dynamic, and lacking in the resolution of many other cartridges in (or close to) its price range. And run away very fast from the person who said:"It's not good for anything but rock because it can't resolve complicated details." What the heck rock records are they listening to? No complicated details in rock music? Wow, that's one of the silliest statements I've ever seen in print - no offense to you, of course. People don't have "ordinary record collections." Only ordinary equipment that won't allow the owner to hear what is really in the grooves. Trust your ears, and hold out for gear that makes your favorite music come alive. And don't listen to anyone who tells you differently.
Happy hunting!
Ed
The Shure is the best value in cartridges. they are also one of the oldest mfg's of cartridges out there. They invented the MM and you can see they have not lost a thing. I used to own the Grado The Reference, and it is no better than the Shure. If I am not mistaken, I sold one of my Shure's to SD Campbell.(should have kept it and saved money). Sure, it does not produce every bit of detail, but is that all wrong? If you want a more lively cartridge on top, get the VMR. It is more like it. If you want a lush cartridge that just makes your system and record collection sound good, save some of your money and buy the Shure. You can then use the money left over and upgrade one of the other items in your system. I have had many cartridges and the best I have heard for the money is the Shure. I am one of the few that has the Shure Ultra 500 cartridge. If you ever wanted to know the limits and the full potential of a MM cartridge, get it (if you can find it) I had a new Benz Micro Glider at the time and well....... I still have the Shure at (1/5 the price to boot.) Wonder why a large number of the reviewers at Absolute sound have Shure V15Vxmr cartridges as their reference? They love the sound and what the cartridge does to their collection. So do I!
make that my error in typing. I purchased SD Campbell's Shure cartridge- glad you sold it! My error.
Hi, Mitch: thanks for the correction. I sold you my V15V, and bought the Grado Reference from another regular on A-gon who uses the name "Khamma". I got the Reference for a good price, and it is, to my ears, a better cartridge than the Shure V15V -- at least in my system. But the statement I made in my initial post still holds true: the Reference is not 4 times better than the Shure V15V (based on price).