How can power cords make a difference?

I am trying to understand why power cords can make a difference.

It makes sense to me that interconnects and speaker cables make a difference. They are dealing with a complex signal that contains numerous frequencies at various phases and amplitudes. Any change in these parameters should affect the sound.

A power cord is ideally dealing with only a single frequency. If the explanation is RF rejection, then an AC regeneration device like PS Audio’s should make these cords unnecessary. I suppose it could be the capacitance of these cables offering some power factor correction since the transformer is an inductive load.

The purpose of my post is not to start a war between the “I hear what I hear so it must be so” camp and the “you’re crazy and wasting your money,” advocates. I am looking for reasons. I am hoping that someone can offer some valid scientific explanations or point me toward sources of this information. Thanks.
bruce1483
Kitch29 -

Your lack of knowledge of science, electronics, audio, the definition of a theory, EVERYTHING that you mention in your diatribe is so staggering as to be beyond comprehension. The number and magnitude of fundamental errors in your post is truly frightening.

You'd be wise to take a beginning science or engineering course, and get at least a modicum of understanding (rather than just pretending to) before spewing forth as you just did. It's really quite embarrassing.

Sadly,
Jhunter
Post removed 
I actually took the time to read every post in this thread and I conclude that there has been very little dialog. There's alot of chest pounding and pontificating, but little communication. To the people who "believe" in power cords, I don't question your ability to hear differences, but I question whether you have put your aural perception in its proper perspective. Are the changes you hear muscially important or are they just audiophile BS? To those who don't "understand" power cords, try the following test. Get two identical CD players and two of each test discs. Site each CD player on identical surfaces and connect them with identical interconnects. The only variable will be the power cords. Start up each CD at the same time and switch back and forth using the preamp input switch. See if you hear a difference. It's alright if you do -- it's alright if you don't.
New update on musicians using power cords on their guitar amps. This evaluation was performed by two people in the same band, using different guitars and amps(their own equipment). The contenders were the stock power cords, and two I submitted to them. Each of the two I provided were from the same company, with the same construction geometry. They differed in both wire material and gauge. One was silver, using 13 gauge conductors. The other was copper, with 8 gauge conductors. I feel the timing of their comments is a Godsend, considering this thread. The following are their opinions, not mine. First of all, both feel that TREMENDOUS improvements were made to their sound over the stock cords. So, both are now converts to "audiophile" power cords. Previously, both thought this was all BS. Belonging to the "wire is wire" club. Both felt the silver cord to be significantly better than the copper, despite its featuring much smaller conductors. The copper sounded duller, more lifeless, and less real. The silver had a presence that they were not used to. A realness that they do not want to give up. The knock on the silver cable is it would not be roadworthy. They also asked about the possibility of making our own, which would stand up to the rigors of playing out. I have accepted the challenge, and feel that we will build our "ultimate power cord" within the next couple of months. I will build three. One for each of us. It will be silver, featuring a silver male end(if anyone is aware of a source of a silver IEC connector, I would be most appreciative). Guage should come in between 6 and 10 AWG. It will feature a rugged jacket and plugs. Possibly a braid. Yet, it will look very sedate. The reason being people steal stuff that looks interesting, and we don't want our cable to look interesting to anyone. I will evaluate this cable in my system, using both my CD player and integrated amplifier. If results are promising, I will start a thread regarding the cord. I now feel that anyone who doubts the sonic differences of a power cord to be anything but "objective", and will stop referring to such people as what they have traditionally been called.
Trelja -

Interesting post and information. One question - were these blind tests, or did the musicians know which cord they were using? If they did . . .

Cheers,
Jordan