Stunned by a cable upgrade

Yesterday I received a 12ft. pair of Analysis Plus Oval Nine speaker cable and I am absolutely stunned by the positive difference they have made in my setup. They replaced a 14 ft. biwired pair of DH Labs Silversonic T-14s. I ordered these on the advice and glowing reviews of fellow members of this forum in an attempt to tame my bright system. I am currently using a Sim Audio Moon I-5 integrated, Sonus Faber Concertinos, Musical Fidelity E60 CD player and NHT SW3P subwoofer.

I must say I've never had the experience of one component making such an audible difference. The DH Labs have a very in-your-face presentation, and the soundstage is flat by comparison. Changing to the Oval Nines I was shocked how much width and especially depth were added to the soundstage. It had the effect of opening backwards like an accordian. Amazing! All the glare was gone and the music became bigger, fuller and just seemed to roll out effortlessly. So full in fact, I had to adjust my subwoofer to compensate for the increased bass and corresponding mudiness.

I spent the entire evening marveling at how the music of Robby Longley, Sunny Sumter, Diana Krall, Jesse Cook, Inscendio, Yo Yo Ma, and Oscar Lopez came to life. My gold Dave Brubeck Time Out CD had always sounded so thin, but now flowed with an ease and roundness I had never enjoyed before. Paul Desmond's sax was so real. The instruments and voices on every CD I tried seemed more lifelike and natural.

Previously, I had tried various affordable interconnects from Cardas, Kimber, Tara, Monster and DH Labs thinking this might help. While the different interconnects did change the character of the sound, the shifts were pretty subtle. A pair of Cardas Golden Cross proved to be the most effective and expensive, but the problem still persisted. It's almost as if everything was bottlenecked at the speaker cables, and now the music seems to flow unrestrained.

The DH Labs are in biwire configuration. The Oval Nines are a single run. I would have thought the biwired cables would have an edge in spaciousness, but this is not the case in my system. I had considered changing out the Moon I-5 for a tube preamp/SS amp combo hoping to cure the leaness. With the Analysis Plus now in my system, I no longer have the urge to change my amp. I'm starting to see how good the Sim Audio really is. I also have on order a Bel Canto DAC 1.1 and I hope this will reap even greater rewards.

I know this must sound like a cheap plug for a product by a manufacturer, but it's not. I'm still amazed by the transformation my system made last night, especially since both cables have been so well reviewed and are fairly close in price. Has anyone else experienced such an improvement in their setup by changing cables? And if so, what were the components involved?
gunbei
I'm glad that it worked out for you better than expected. It is always nice when a system change is a step forward and is reasonably priced. While my results with these cables were not to my liking, this just goes to show how much system compatability and personal taste come into play. There are NO absolutes when it comes to cabling. Sometimes the results can be both quite amazing and unpredictable.

Good listening and hope they make you happy for a long time to come. Sean
>
I use the bi-wire oval 9's-- suggest you replace your single run. I sold my $55/foot Audioquest Clears and Greens.
The analysis ovals are quite good.
I agree with Estrnad - I'm using Oval 9 for the bass run and Silver Ovals for the highs - first time I played throgh them, I was truly amazed at the bass content as well as the mid/high clarity.
Cheers.
Thanks for the great feedback everyone. If it wasn't for my fellow members, I wouldn't have discovered the Oval 9s in the first place.

Sean, I completely agree with you about system matching and personal taste. Just curious to hear what floats your boat. You might have a product or a combination I'd like to try myself. Thanks.

Would a double run consisting of Oval 9s and Silver Ovals benefit my modest setup? Interesting idea. I'll make a decision about going back to biwiring after I've had the Bel Canto in my setup for awhile. For now, I'm quit happy.

Thanks again!
Gunbei you are on the right road, Oval 9 are the most natural sounding cables in their price range I have heard, allow a full week of burn in to hear them really blossom.
I bi-wire with double runs of Oval 9 because they are so cheap, keep your eyes open and you may find a used pair of
12ft Oval 9 here at Audiogon.

A bigger step will be made when you get the BC Dac 1.1, it will produce more improvement than any other change you have considered, let us know your experiences.

Also please get the Absolute Power cords for $49 from GTT Audio, these offer amazing performance for the money, embarass cords costing many times their price.