Preamp-phonostage selection for analog lover

This is my first thread here. Maybe it should go on the amp/preamp board but I am hoping that analog lovers, like me, will have a specialized knowledge base and be gracious enough to provide me with some help.

I really, really like the sound of vinyl. Several months ago, I bought a VPI 16.5 and since then have cleaned about 1,500 of my older LP's. I have a very nice McCormack SS amp, a Clearaudio Champion TT with an average AT cartridge (that I will be replacing), and a pair of Aerial 8 floorstanders. I have been using a borrowed Lehmann Black Cube from a friend. The Cube is okay, but I want to buy my own different from the Cube. Now I want to buy a USED TUBE preamp and a phono stage or a combination pre/phono (I know most people like the separates but I would like to go combo if at all practical). I will, of course, be using the TT and also an older Sony analog tuner. I will be using a run-of-the-mill CD player from time to time, but a high quality digital front end is NOT important to me, nor is it in my future.

Can those of you with more recent experience than I in analog give me some recommendations that would match with this amp, TT, speaker combo. I am also open to cartridge choices. I would like to stay with a good MM for now but would like to have a phono stage with the flexibilty to use an MC in the future. Oh, yes, and I'd like to spend between 1200-1800US on USED component(s)(I prefer someone else to take the knock down, I refuse to buy new in this area)! Please try to suggest units that fall within my price range USED not new, Bang for my buck, you know... Maybe 500-750US on a NEW cartridge - this lot I refuse to buy used! HA)

Thank you
Barbara
lpspinner
Hi Barbara, My nod for preamp/phono stage also goes to the Audible Illusions M3. You may want to consider an original M3 instead of the M3A. I've owned both for a long time and have gone back and forth with the "upgrade" option. The first Audible preamp I owned was the M3. I bought it because
it sells in the $600+ price range. When I put it in my system, I could hear only great things coming out of it!
A real winner. Upgrade fever compelled me to buy a M3A and
also an M3A with gold phono. With the exception of the gold
boards higher output, it was hard to justify the extra money
spent on the M3A. My turntable is a VPI TNT3 with JMW10" arm
and a Benz ruby2 cartridge. My rule of thumb is to buy a piece of gear at a price you can sell it at if you're not happy. It's a great feeling listening to a piece of gear
that I paid pennies for, verses the other guys thousands!Joe
Vinyls and tube gears go hand in hand. If you like the sound of vinyls, tube amp and tube preamp would make it sound even better. For your budget, I would go with ARC SP8 and stay away from SP9. The only things about SP8 is you need a high output cartridge or a step-up unit. Once you get into tube preamp, you will eventually get a tube amp.
Someone here once said the difference between digital vs vinyl, solid state vs tube, is like having sex and making love. Good Luck.
Thank you so much for the responses to my post. I must first address the borderline seductive post of Blptwp. Both of the enjoyment avenues you mention (NOT referring to the D/V or SS/T debate) can be thrilling and exciting but needn't, necessarily, be mutually inclusive, so your analogy doesn't exactly "grab" me! ;-) Although I do have an EX husband, so that might temper my opinion. Just kidding, Blptwp. Say, are moderators lurking on this board? Hee Hee

I am happy with my McCormack at this point and do not plan to exchange for a tube amp in the immediate future. My ex and I had a SERIES of stereo gear including both SS and tubes, so I appreciate the sound created by both. I hasten to add that I have always had either integrated amps or (close your ears) receivers, so this is my first fling into the preamp/stage world. The McCormack is very clean and powerful enough to fill my room and drive most any speaker. I am satisfied with the choice. I want to go with a tube preamp and phono (or combo) because the Mc does about all I expect on the low end and is just a slip bright at the top (but not harsh). The middies, in my mind, is where it could use a nice smooth and lifting hand. The staging of the Mc is great and the imaging is the best I have heard on any amp I have owned or I have auditioned.

It seems like there is some consensus about Acoustic Research and the Audible Illusions. I thought there would be more CJ and Rogue recommendations. I am pleased though, in a way, that the responses have been somewhat the same. I also assumed there would be a different opinion at every turn and I would just get even more confused.

A couple of kind people have asked me questions that I should address.

Sean - I am using a very old AT cartridge that was lying about unused. It was meant for a Pioneer direct drive table we had many years ago. I only use it because it is all I had that wouldn't damage my records. I am fully open to most any cartridge within my price range.

Sdcampbell - the Cube I have borrowed is of the old power supply incarnation. I would be interested to hear the difference. It is a good unit as it stands, though not the one I would buy again.

Jeffloistarca - I can live with or without a remote. I would prefer to have it but, if not, oh well. When otherwise involved with either of the things Blptwp mentions while listening, it is nearly mandatory, though! :-)
I mostly listen to jazz/rock/blues. I am a creation of the late 50's and came of "musical" age during the late 60's through the 70's when most good music was made (even if the recording quality wasn't always good)! I like and listen to such a variety that it is hard to specify. I will say that Disco sucks, and I have no fondness for metal bands, pop, rap or hip-hop. Other than that, I like Sinatra to Sting; Miles Davis to Larry Carlton; Beach Boys to Led Zeppelin; Perlman to Bela Fleck.

Sean - I have not received any proposals via e-mail as yet, though anyone who would propose "digitally" would have to queue, and remain, at the back of a recently growing line! I have resolved that any future proposals will be posed by me and accepted or rejected on the "other" end! HA HA.

Thanks you one and all. Now it is time to visit a few garage sales for that lurking vinyl gem!

Barbara
Good comments and suggestions have been offered. I'd like to share just a note of caution. Making the right choice in a preamplifier is profoundly affected by your priorities (what is important to you) in music reproduction. This can include the type of music to which you most often listen.

For my tastes and for what I value in music reproduction, I have always preferred the musical naturalness of Conrad-Johnson equipment, particularly with "later" PV-9 or PV-10 models and models designed thereafter. IMHO, these two full-function preamps are two of the most satisfying tube preamps available in the "lower-cost" used market, both of which typically sell in the $600-900 range. The C-J equipment will not be happy with a low-output cartridge, but performs quite well with cartridges in the 1.2mv and higher output levels.

If you've like the Black Cube, the ARC recommendations will work well for you. For my tastes, I have simply never found the musical satisfaction with the ARC preamps that I find with comparable Conrad-Johnson equipment. It's a matter of one's priorities in listening, not an issue of which is better or worse.

For point of reference, I listen almost exclusively to acoustic music (acoustic instruments and voice), and 90% of my listening is to classical music. Also, I have a strong bias in favor of tube electronics based on my priorities and my listening experiences over the years. Most important to me for sound reproduction are: midrange accuracy, reproducing correctly the timbre of the instruments, harmonic integrity and capturing the delicate harmonic overtones, and soundstaging. The C-J equipment has always done these things superbly.

Best of luck as you pursue assembling the right system for you! And congratulations on your dedication to vinyl!
Barbara, since you opened the door for more propositions - oops, proposals - err, ideas, there's a Rogue 99 Magnum preamp being offered for sale in the classifieds for $1800. It's a great unit (and it does have a remote).

I'm not familiar with the specific ARC and C-J units others have mentioned, but these older units have the virtue of a cheaper price, hence more to spend on that cartridge or vinyl.

BTW, which tonearm are you using (I presume a Rega)? Prefer moving magnet cartridges or open to moving coils? Type of sound - highly resolved and detailed vs lush and warm? Burgundy or cabernet? Oops, did it again.

There are add-ons for tts that will automatically lift the tonearm at run-out, so you don't have stop and interrupt ... well, you know.

Sorry, but old grandpas get a little light headed when certain subjects are raised.