Speaker wire is it science or psychology

I have had the pleasure of working with several audio design engineers. Audio has been both a hobby and occupation for them. I know the engineer that taught Bob Carver how a transistor works. He keeps a file on silly HiFi fads. He like my other friends considers exotic speaker wire to be non-sense. What do you think? Does anyone have any nummeric or even theoretical information that defends the position that speaker wires sound different? I'm talking real science not just saying buzz words like dialectric, skin effect capacitance or inductance.
stevemj
Post removed 
I apologise to first Jostler and then to Katharine. I was indeed out of line and I too hope the discussions grow. it was my lack of perspective and that's all I will say. Please forgive me Jostler for my assult, I will try to stay out of this one for now. J.D.
First of all, thanks to my defenders. Apologies heartily accepted, JD, and don't stay out of it. We all cross over the line occasionally, because it's inevitable in forums like this. I am, however, growing tired of this thread.
I have a wonderful friend with whom I went to high-school long ago. He is now a Geneticist teaching and researching in Switzerland. Although he has quite a distinguishing science career, when we talk like old friends he is able to put that aside and be real. He tells
me there is no "proof" God exists, and I ask him to prove God does not exist, he stops, and thinks about it.
While listening to my system last year, he noticed and
commented on the "huge" speaker cables. Then he said..."I don't know what you have done or why, but I want my music at home to sound as good as yours. What should I get first?" I made the wire his last priority:
If I start with the wire I can't hear the difference until I remove it. To DTITTLE in answer to your response
of 3/08...Rotel vs levinson amps. I tried that and it did not work. I had a Levinson 383 100W in my wife,s listening area. Took it out, put in a good Classe Cap 150 , more power; and tried the levinson in my office system. When she came home, I had left her favorite music running...the amp NOT visible. An hour later she
mentioned there was something wrong with the stereo.
Like what? I asked. She said she was not sure, but that the body and soul of the music seemed to be missing.
The fullness was gone. So I told her I would check into it later. Our eleven year old son also mentioned it.
Because all they were changing was the CDs, they never noticed the Integrated amp switch until later. When my wife saw the Classe and asked a few questions.... you can guess the rest. " I want the Levinson Back ASAP!" My 20 year old son
is my usual guinea-pig. He never knows what I have done or if I did anything at all. I just ask him if he hears any difference. Since he has nothing to gain or loose, his answers always help. The problem I have with blind tests is I WANT to hear a difference, my family does not care. They just know what a good system sounds like and they could care less why. My wife plays the piano and knows good sound. Although she would love for us to spend our money elsewhere, once she has listened to a better sounding piece of equipment...there is no going back. Dtittle, if you can't hear the difference, consider yourself lucky and spend that money on something else. My scientist friend has the same problem now with his family...and he can't go back either. I bugs him because he can't see the scientific proof, but he accepts it as truth. We all love our sound
don't we?
Now that we are into apologies - I wish to thank the kind words of my supporters here and apologise for my perhaps over-passionate response to what I felt was an unwarranted attack from Jostler. I keep getting suckered into these debates whenever I see the so-called scientists getting on their high horse when they seem to have little to be proud of in respect of their contribution to the audio field for the last few decades. I have seen how sites like Audioreview get bogged down in this stuff due to the likes of Mtrycraft. Perhaps I stupidly think that I can stop that nonsense destroying this site if I pounce on it fast. Perhaps I should take Dekay's advice and just ignore posts like Stevemj's. As for you Jostler, I merely disagree, and I really don't have a problem with that.