hopeless LP's

Ok, now a question about maintaining one's collection.

4 day weekend this weekend, so the wife and I, as a diversion, are going to start to go through our large and varied collection of LP's (garage sale, thrift store, mostly) and pare it down to records actually worth keeping.

Assuming a clean record (we have a nitty gritty) and a properly set up TT, but NOT the "finest" stylus in the world (a Sumiko Black Pearl, which has an elliptical stylus), can it be safely assumed that if a well-cleaned, de-staticized, gruv-glided, etc. record is being played and still either distorts or crackles, or sounds like someone shaved off the high frequencies, that is is, alas, a goner and should be put out for trash?

I'd hate to throw away my found vinyl (some of it very nice performances, mostly the classical stuff) only to find out later that if I had a different TT or cart set-up, in fact the gross and obvious distortion I am hearing now would not be audible.

Thanks again, as always

pcanis
pcanis
zaikesman - I think you named exactly the kind of distortion I am referring to. ticks and pops dont bother me at all, since that kind of noise pretty much always lets the "sound" still ride right along underneath. For example, old 78's are exactly like this: constant sizzle, but NOT correlated with the signal in the groove.

The distortion I'm talking about is correlated with signal, as you said (nice to learn that is what I was noticing!). Crescendoes on both Leider and Orchestra sounds shaved off, or simply distorted, or horribly crackly, etc.

Well, however, I heard enough on this post to convince me to put anything I *think* I still might want to be able to re-check again in a separate pile, and store those rather than simply dispose of them.

BTW, was listening just tonight to the Glenn Gould Mozart piano sonata series, and some Fischer-Dieskau Schubert stuff. Nice. All of those are in fine shape!!! Yay!

as always, thanks for the comments. All of your commetns are really helping me here!
pcanis
Pcanis, (drool), not the Heine Songs with G Moore on piano? Tell me when & where you throw that one away (I would willingly save you the trouble & throw it for you :).
Your decision to hang on to those vinyls rules!
Cheers
Gregen -
no, don't have that one. The F-D one's on EMI with G Moore accompanying I have are: Die Schone Mullerin; The Trout and other songs; Death and the Maiden and other songs.

I was most fortunate about 6 years ago when I was working at a CD store, an old fellow from the local University came in and said, you seem to like Classical music, I'm moving and need to get rid of my LP's..... about 500 or so!

Those fischer-dieskau's with g moore ARE wonderful. Last night, listend three times to the Death and the Maiden disc. Just amazing.

pcanis
Hi P, I have those F-Ds on cd -- strangely, on Universal label! BTW, some of those are mono recordings...
Cheers!