LP Label help.

I am in the process of building a Jazz collection. I have been looking around various shops in the Bay Area to see what is available. My question is, is there a particular label or re-issue that I should look for or stay away from? For example, Miles Davis (Kind of Blue) is at the local shop for $11 on a Columbia 180 gram re-rissue. It is also on ebay on Classic Records for $89. Can anyone point me to a source for information of provide me with general guidelines. I am willing to pay a premium for better LP's, but without paying $100 per, what should I look for. Thanks for any help.
bobkirs
Welcome to the confusing world of LP collecting. The back issues of "The Tracking Angle" magazine had a lot of info on this but it is out of business. The 180 gram Impulse reissues are generally very good and the Classic reissues are also very good, http://www.classicrecs.com/. The Miles Davis you mention is sold out but they have other titles. I have purchased a lot used Galaxy titles in the bay area for around $5 that are well recorded. I think it was Street Light records. The San Jose (I believe on Bascom) store had a good selection last time I was in last year. The SF store was dissapointing. Go to the Analog Shop in San Jose, they have a very good selection of reissues and used records, and the owner is very knowledgeable. Not the cheapest, but the prices are fair and the guidance you get will be worth the premium. I forget the owner's name but he could probably give you some advice on your quest. Please share it with us. Happy hunting.
Analog Productions, Classic Records, DCC, Mosaic are all re-issues, generally 180 gram, and excellent. If you find the title you want on any of these, it is unlikely you will every be disappointed in the sound quality. Impulse is a jazz label that has been doing 180g vinyl reissues, but I have not been very impressed with these (although I've read several reviews that say these are great--it's just not been my experience).
Edle, You can frequently pick up the 180g KOB pressing on Ebay for <$20. So I'm not sure if a $9 savings is anything to jump in the car for.

The best pressing of KOB that I know of is the 4LP one-sided 45RPM set from Classic. The second runner up is the 2LP 33/45RPM set from Classic which I just got for $80. Both of these are OOP but there is one of the latter up for auction on ebay right now.
Bobkirs, Original pressings of Blue Note Jazz LPs are scarce and hideously expensive when available. The digitally remastered Blue Note LPs were a shadow of the analog originals, sonically. Fortunately though, an equally heavyweight label(musically & sonically)surfaced with a reissue series that was spectacular. The company is FANTASY records. The labels include the the most "serious" jazz had to offer. i.e. PRESTIGE, RIVERSIDE, CONTEMPORARY, PABLO,MILESTONE, GALAXY, and more. The LPs were titled OJC (original jazz classics) and are widely available used. The CD counterparts are very good as well. Hope this helps a little........Frank