phono pre loading and gain question

I have a Motif mp-11 phono pre. Inside, through switches, the gain can be set between 40, 45, and 48 db. On the front is a knob selector for loading with positions: 70 ohm, 100, 150, 250, 470, 1k, 2k, 5k, 10k, 20k, and 47k. I have read most of the threads and am still confused about how low of an output mc I can use. This feeds into a Sonic Frontiers preamp with 20db gain. I don't want to get a step-up transformer if I don't need one...but I would like to try a Shelter cartridge out. Also, why would my phono pre have so many loading choices but so little maximum gain. One more thing...are step ups very prone to noise or hum. thanks
skeyebox
To add to Plato's point, I have 100db speakers and my amp only requires three-tenths of a volt input to reach max output.
Post removed 
Just to add more of my equipment. (and thanks for the help)I have a Sonic Frontiers Power 1 connected with balanced cables to the Sonic Frontiers Line 1 and all that goes into Infinity Overture 3s which have a sensitivity of 93-94db.
Any suggestions on a step-up? There is an Ortofon T-3000 for sale will that work with most lomc? Thanks
I never used a T-3000, so I have no personal experience with it. I have heard it is a very nice unit. Make sure it has the gain you want, and the loading selections you want.

Another choice that is good, is the EAR MC3 step up transformer.