USB cables

In the March 2012 issue of Absolute Sound, Robert Harley raves about a $550/m USB cable that replaced his "excellent" $80 cable, but doesn't tell us what the $80 cable is. For those of us who are less absolute, that would have been an interesting disclosure.

As a new owner of a MacMini loaded with Pure Music, I'd like to know what USB cables are recommended. The MacMini will output USB to a Musical Fidelity V-Link that will in turn output SP/DIF to a Cary 11a.

db
Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd
"Do converters like the offramp or hiface EVO use USB power (I guess not)? If not, can USB power be disengaged when using a SotM USB card."

No, the Off-Ramp and EVO do not use the 5V power. It can be disconnected. You still need the ground wire.

The dual shielded is still interesting because the signal lines are separated from the ground.

I have a common-mode filter that goes even further, as well as severing the 5V wire. Makes a big difference. I hope to productize this soon.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
I use the Acoustic Revive cable that has the separate power line and it sounds pretty damn good. I did not do much of a trial before deciding on it other than the Nordost Blue Heaven and a generic cord which it sounded much better than both. The Nordost is good, very detailed like all their stuff but also very thin. I am using it between a PC server and Berkeley Alpha USB converter. I did not expect much of a benefit from the AR cable but sure enough, there it was.
Turns out the SotM USB card allows you to switch of 5v USB power, which should solve a lot of perceived or real problems.
Nickjn,
Sorry, I've been traveling and just checked this thread. I certainly noticed a difference with the Cinnamon across the board. A tad tighter in bass, better image placement and smoother top end. All were minor improvements, but improvements in all area's add up. I would suggest that you ask Steve (Audioengr) about cables with Asyn vs adaptive. I am understanding that the cable makes more difference on one over the other. Not sure which way, but the short answer is yes, the Cinnamon was a clear improvement. I have an Asyc USB.
I recently purchased a new USB DAC (North Star USB DAC32) and initially tried the Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable. It sounded OK but the connection was not good and the cable would come unplugged causing kernel panic in my MacBook Pro. I upgraded to the Wireworld Silver Starlight USB ($250) and it was a world of difference better in sound and connectivity. No kernel panic and much better highs and lows. I was amazed.