USB cables

In the March 2012 issue of Absolute Sound, Robert Harley raves about a $550/m USB cable that replaced his "excellent" $80 cable, but doesn't tell us what the $80 cable is. For those of us who are less absolute, that would have been an interesting disclosure.

As a new owner of a MacMini loaded with Pure Music, I'd like to know what USB cables are recommended. The MacMini will output USB to a Musical Fidelity V-Link that will in turn output SP/DIF to a Cary 11a.

db
Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd
Like most digItal cables, the high-end is where the significant improvement comes. $400 is a good starting point IME.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
I use the Locus Design Polestar, which Steve recommends (though the length is sorter than 1.5m). IME, it is made a worthwhile improvement over stock.

John
Steve, you are recommending the revelations audio labs. They have a cable with separate power and data conduit. Do converters like the offramp or hiface EVO use USB power (I guess not)? If not, can USB power be disengaged when using a SotM USB card.

Is there still any benefit in a dual conduit USB cable when using an converter which supplies its own power.
I appreciate Elberoth2's comment... I have the Vlink feeding a PS Audio DLink III and don't find it provides the same high frequency " air" and deep bass from music server as I can get with digital from a Linn Genki CD player. Looks like time to find a better SPDIF converter.
I've also found that pure silver is king with digital cables... both coax and USB benefit. Even at the cheap end, immediate difference in stepping up from POCC copper to pure silver stranded cable.
Timlub, does bass punch improves when using your cinnamon? i know its not a fair comparison against cheap ones but..curious to know.