Schiit Bifrost plus ESI Juli or Bifrost USB

Hi all,

I recently posted in the Digital section a question about budget USB DACs for an office system. One of the suggestions was the Schiit Bifrost.

Doing some reading about the Bifrost indicates that Schiit considers S/PDIF a superior interface to USB, no surprise I guess. They have a USB input module for the Bifrost which is pretty good, but all the reviews pretty much say it sounds better with S/PDIF input.

Also reading lots of praise for the ESI Juli@ as a sound card. So here's the question: what's the better approach, a great sound card like the Juli@ and a non-usb DAC, or a usb-DAC with a well engineered usb interface?

I know there are some really good usb DACs out there like the Ayre but I'm thinking more in the sub 1K range DACs.

What do you think?
bmdduck
My initial thought was budget up to around $500. The Schiit w/o USB + Juli@ is around $550 I think, so close enough.

I think one of the advantages is there are more DAC choices if you don't require a well-designed USB input. You could also pick one of the many USB to S/PDIF converters, but their performance is all over the map and they add cost and complexity. It seems like the Juli@ is a simpler way to solve the computer to DAC route and performs very well as a transport.
Seems to me that your chosen option should work out well for you. I use the USB/ SPDIF route. Feel it is better than using onboard USB in inexpensive DACs. The Juli@ should also be an improvement. No experience with one however. Enjoy!
Mesch,

Thanks for your thoughts. I think you answered the question I meant to ask. An inexpensive DAC (in the price range I mentioned) isn't going to have a really well implemented USB interface. It's probably better to go with a USB/SPDIF converter or soundcard with a good SPDIF output.

Just curious, what converter do you use?

bmdduck
I have been using a M2Tech Hiface which plugs directly into USB port thus avoiding need for USB cable. Have just purchased a used Audiophellio2 with power supply. Haven't received it yet, should have it in play next week. I used the hiface with a PS Audio Digital link III.

What type of music files will you be using? Are you ripping CDs to your computer?
Mesch

I have a Squeezebox Touch in my main system so most of my music is ripped with DBPoweramp into FLAC files and stored on my PC and also a NAS drive. I use the Squeezebox server software to stream music to the Touch.

I was thinking of getting JRiver for the PC to play my own music and I would also like to use services like Pandora and internet radio from the PC. Any suggestions there would be welcome.