Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
You're looking for music reproduced naturally.
1) One of current Lampizator DACs (level 7 with direct coupled DHTtube is their top model). A friend has their level 5 and it's excellent.
2) Concert Fidelity DAC, ( the latest has a battery powered chip version).I heard the prior model and it's excellent.
3) Yamamoto YDA-01 DAC and replace the output coupling capacitor with Duelund CAST. What I use and it's organic bliss.
I'm certain there are other very good options, but I can vouch for these three.
Charles,
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "musical", "emotional" and "engaging", but as those terms are commonly used they are the antithesis of "accurate" reproduction (to be clear, I am referring to a general sound in reproduction across all music; alternatively, a particular recording can be accurate and all of those things). It sounds like what you want is some semblance of accuracy but with some coloration leading to increased emotional engagement.

In any case, you are already working with a good, but colored and "musical" preamp so you should be careful not to err too much to that end of the spectrum if you want to retain any semblance of accurate reproduction. From what I've read the Capri is even more colored than the Levinson.

Given your tastes and based upon my experience with the XDS1, I think an EMM Labs DAC2X is very much worth considering.

Good luck.