MY Sidewinder AC cord progress:

This is a demo from the Cable Company. They burned it in for 250 hours, and sent it to me. I plugged my Krell amp into it, and directly into the wall outlet. After a 24 hour settling time, I listened. Very bright, dynamically laid back, zero bass in the bottom two octaves, wide and shallow soundstage (that's a function of the brightness, IMHO). So far, not the best AC cord I've tried with my amp. MORE LATER....
carl_eber
hi-don't seem like this cable will make te grade.don't have any experience with this cable,but the black mamba and king cobra are amazing.sometimes companys that make high end products can't compete at lower levels and vice-versa.are you going to try this cable on the front end-you might get better results.when i tryed my first snake,i was looking for a cord for my preamp-tryed it there-was not impressed-put it on my cd player got blown away-then as i tried more down stream [with one still on cd player]the quaility of sound got better and better.something about clean power from the get-go makes all the difference.this cable might be letting you hear that mit power cable on the front end.don't get insulted ,just throwing a few ideas your way.
Carl I have just the opposite evaluation of SideWinder, no where close to bright in my system, in fact made CD output smoother with greater transparancy with fine details revealed. Bass output if anything was greater with SideWinder and 3D soundstaging enhanced. When analyzing AC cord you should first test on CD player (most sensitive to improved AC cable) then preamp, then amp last (if any money left, hehehe) If you have Krell gear you should be trying black mamba. I say no better AC cable available for $280! BTW I have Musical Fidelity X-Ray CD, MF preamp/amp
Replaced all Harmonic Tech cords with Sidewinders in system consisting of Sony SCD-777ES, EVS Attenuators, Bel Canto amp, Ps Audio P300 and B&W speakers. Everything was improved by Sidewinders. Bass output was more extended and system speed/transparency was improved. Purchased from Goldmanaudio.com. John Goldman is easy to work with and puts his customers first. One Black Mamba in system such as on CD player is recommended.
My experience with various power cords is somewhat limited because so little is stocked here in NZ, but I have played around extensively with what I could get my hands on. Here are some random responses to the previous posts. Saying it is better than Harmonic Technology is to damn the Sidewinder with faint praise indeed. The HT was one of the biggest disappointments I have encountered. With respect to the comments on whether to try on CD or Amp... From my experience, the best cables on CD transports are rarely the best on amps and vice versa. In fact the characteristics can get reversed - ie. relatively dull on the amp but lively on the CD transport, or vice versa. I find most good DACs tend to like cords that work on amps more than they like cords that work on CD transports, so this perhaps means those with one-box players may struggle to find a good cord. I would also add that you really have to have competent AC cords on every component before you can evaluate an AC power cable. 250 hours burn in should be enough, but 24 hours is not. I would give it two weeks if you can Carl. The best cords I have, sounded much as you describe the Sidewinder for the first week.
Agreed on the HT cord, Redkiwi. Would have had a demo Black Mamba two weeks ago if guys like you all would stop keeping them past your appointed limit. Anyway, I'm primarily looking for a cord for my amp, since the MIT has killed every one of the others I've tried with the CD50 (no matter what cord was on the amp, and amp and player are the only two components I'm using for evaluation). Can't afford King Cobra right now, and anyway, I'M DISCUSSING THE SIDEWINDER IN THIS THREAD, SO LET US STAY ON SUBJECT. (I'll have another thread when I've evaluated the Black Mamba). So far, I prefer the Purist Audio Design Proteus with my amp, WAY and the hell over the Sidewinder. I feel its small conductors are limiting current, and causing the amp to turn brighter than even the Magnan Signature power cord did. OF COURSE I'LL TRY THE SIDEWINDER ON MY CD PLAYER AS WELL, but the Magnan cord was MUCH worse on the CD player than it was on the amp, so I'm not expecting much. It uses highly resistive conductors also. MY DEMO PERIOD IS LIMITED TO TWO WEEKS...bitch to Paul at the Cable Company about that, not me. ANYWAY, I DON'T CARE IF OTHERS HAVE HAD THE OPPOSITE EXPERIENCE, cause I have more faith in my hearing than just about anything in my life. I'm also brutally honest, and have no axe to grind either way...especially since I've not bought any of these yet, and don't feel the need to justify my money spent...