Biggest bucks = Satifaction? Hmmmmm...

With a self-classification as "rookie", "newbie", or, best yet, "audio ignoramus", I ponder the signifigant satisfaction fellow members have enjoyed (or failed such) with their highest dollar acquisitions.

Before "The Fever" got me, my biggest buy was a $1k Kenwood rack system bought from Circuit City (jeez, I hated that salesman...but it was Circuit City or Sears, can you blame me?) 10 years ago. That system was fine until I heard a MacIntosh at the local high end shop (just by chance - I buy my CDs there). I was blown away, not just by the sound, but by the cost factor as well. I knew I had to start upgrading, so over the past two years I have, in my humble opinion, built a fine beginner system. My highest dollar buy has been a pair of B&W CDM9NTs, and even though I paid full retail for them, they have rewarded my expenditure twenty-fold, delight to the point that they rank very low on my near-future upgrade list.

How about you? What single audio component most severely damaged your pocketbook, and was it worth it?

Cheers, Steve...
zootallures
If gear, equipment, hardware, etc. call it what you will fascinates you, you will probably also want to drive BMW's.
Biggest satisfaction was with the Rega Brio and JPW Millenium 510 speakers with rega speaker cable as my 'second system'. Inexpensive equipment but really great sound per what I spent. I spend as much time with my second cheapo system as I do with my higher-fi rig.
The most expensive piece I bought for my system, both retail and what I paid for it, is my Jadis JP80 preamp. It has paid for itself many times over in musical enjoyment.
This year I upgraded to all Krell: FPB300, KRC-HR, and a KAV1500 for my H/T. It was very expensive and very satisfying! I replaced all Classe equipment: CA300, CP-60 preamp. It forced me to upgade the other components as well.
Avalon Acoustics....need I say anything more. Anyone who has a pair can say loudly and proudly they are the most expensive component in there system. I am sure there are other's here that will agree(right kelly), though like most have said above worth every penny, it is a damn good thing this stuff is legal or we would be the biggest junkies out there. Cheers, Tim The Tire Guy