Which high-end receiver?

Good news, bad news. We're moving into a much bigger house, but the built in area around the entertainment center is so small that it will not hold my power conditioner, amp, processor, DVD player and cablebox.

The wife is insisting that I downsize into equipment that will fit, which will mean getting rid of the processor and amp (at least).

I'm thinking that I'm going to be disappointed with a receiver, but I'm willing to consider the higher end units. Any useful pointers/comparisons between the Denon 5805, the Lexicon RV-8, the Sunfire Ultimate, etc.?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm into an Equitech conditioner, ATI (7x200) amp and Arcam processor right now.

Thanks
Ag insider logo xs@2xazkeith
Thats a very strong recommendation and I am considering this Arcam as well. However, I have read that it has had some buzzing type problems. Any thoughts on that?
Not aware of any buzzing issues. I can only share my own experience.

The demo model didn't buzz when I heard it - it had been playing music/movies all morning long in-store and then we played around with it for over two hours in the aftrnoon. I brought it home and didn't fire it up til the next day - played with it all week - no problems for me.

I'm not saying it never happens, but there was no buzzing on the store demo unit I had. I've had several Arcam pieces in the past and always found them to be reliable with good customer service. I don't like fussy components.

If you have a local dealer, I would try to get a home demo. It's an impressive piece.

BTW, I'm a realtor - congrtulations on the new digs.
I think people should find out what's the real difference between good separates and receivers. If you take the Arcam, and put it up against some modest separates (budget even), you'll find dynamics is a huge factor, in favor of the separates!...my experiences mostly anway.
If you're willing to sacrifice dynamics, even at low volume levels, then I think you can find a lot of receivers that offer a good level of clarity, detail, and resolution, speaking stricktly of sonics.
I have yet to hear any receiver that can deal an acceptable level of dynamics for movies or music!
Given, when I go to a movie, the real passion, drama, and heart of a system is the dynamic level of realism it portrays. And I think most systems fail here. So, receivers are already dynamically short on "the goods". It's hard for me to give in this area personally.
I have an arcam avr300 and did have some problems with buzzing when it was plugged into my television inputs box (I have a lcd). I think you'll only experience that problem when something isn't grounded properly.