Front projection or not?

Based on "recommended" screen to distance calculation of 2x, sitting 120 inches (10 feet..) from the screen gives me a max screen size of 60 inches.
I was toying with the idea of a front projector, but what would be the advantage of that over a plasma, LCD or rear projection (newer tech) tv?
Budget around 3k.
homer
Wouldn't the projected 2.35:1, 1.78:1 etc image occupy the same amount of space whether it's on a 16:9 or 4:3 screen? However, a 4:3 image on a 16:9 screen occupies only the middle.

The only use for this projector setup is to watch movies; DVD mainly but also the occasional VHS (older stuff). Very very rarely cable (I have no satellite), that's done on the living room tv set.
Wider movies (mostly 2.35 and 1.85) use the same ammount of space on lower apsect screens (16:9 or 4:3) the same width as a wider screen. Narrower ones only occupt the middle. This is a feature.

You don't want to watch 4:3 VHS tapes and wide screen DVDs at the same width.
front projection all the way. once you have it you won't let it go. next time you're looking at tv's ask them why they never show hockey on their display models.
My old and trusty Sanyo LCD projector finaly died. I went over to VideoGon and picked up a Vidikron Crystal 1 LCD for $499.
It has Component , S-video and Composit.
This thing has a great picture for $499
I use it for normal TV viewing so I don't have to fire up the Theater system just to watch TV.
When I started doing this a couple of years ago, I knocked about $150 a month off of my electric bill.
I use 3 seperate stereo amps for my HT. You start adding everything up and between the electric bill and heating the basement. It seemd a little much.
Greetings,
(apologize if this is repetitive; I didn't take time to read all the responses. I'm hoping my thoughts are original to the discussion)

I have a phenomenal screen in my HT called the DIY 100. That's the horribly clever name I gave to my self-made 100" screen. Took the directions off the internet. Cost was right at $100 and NO ONE who's visited has the slightest clue it's homemade. In fact, one friend of mine paid good bucks for a prefab Stewart screen and the screen isn't perfectly tensioned. Doing it yourself, you can make sure it's right.

60" seems to be about the breaking point for tv vs. projection in terms of size. If finances are a critical issue, you can get more bang for your buck in projection by making your own screen.

I did the 100" setup along with a Panasonic PT-L300U (watch out, I found out too late it's not compatible with DVI encryption) for $1300. So, with projector, mount, cables, and screen, cost was at $2,000. Super economical.

If one of your highest prioreties is low cost, this is a great way to go.