Beethoven Symphonies - best perf + sonics on CD

My CD's of Beethoven's symphonies were all issued in the late 80's or early 90's and sound flat and two-dimensional, with a back-of-the-house perspective. Vinyl is more dynamic but I can't tolerate the surface noise during the quiet passages. So, fellow A'gon members, I'm looking for your suggestions for the best sounding (good tone, big dynamics, front row perspective) and most thrilling performances of Beethoven symphonies on redbook CD. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Ag insider logo xs@2xcrazee01
Crazee, I also like Greensburg's lectures. He has quite a few different lecture sets and they are all worthwhile in my opinion.

As you can see from the above, the LvB symphonies are a place where one can do a good bit of sampling without spending a ton of money. Based on your clarifying comments and your original critera, I still think Parvi on RCA may be your best bet. You will find these to have generally fast tempi and good dynamics. That is the sort of approach that generally falls into the "thrilling" as opposed to "profound" category. You can also pick up the Vanska set pretty inexpensively now. Later, you might well want to gain exposure to some of the older classics, from Furtwangler, Toscanini, Bohm, etc.
"I still think Parvi on RCA may be your best bet."

.....if u mean Jarvi, I would agree for Crazee01 to start with that.
Again, thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experience. I ordered a Jarvi CD (Symphonies 3 and 8) from Amazon and will go from there.
Sorry it took so long but I didn't see the post right away. The reason I asked for a list of your components is that in your description of the problem, I felt it was likely that your CD player could be at fault as well. Things like dynamic contrast and great imaging are easy for vinyl. Its not the same for CD. It can be done but its much more difficult (and expensive).

I don't have a lot of experience listening to the Lector that you own. I do know, however, that it is very well regarded by many people I've spoken to, and from several other positive comments on it, as well. In light of that, my best guess would be your concern is with the recordings and not the CD player. If you have easy access to other equipment, it wouldn't hurt to compare it to different CD players, just to see.

One last thing. I have to single out Rok2id. I've read several of her (or his) comments on music and recordings, and find them to be outstanding. Always good advice. Just don't let him talk you into buying $4000 worth of cables.