Beethoven Symphonies - best perf + sonics on CD

My CD's of Beethoven's symphonies were all issued in the late 80's or early 90's and sound flat and two-dimensional, with a back-of-the-house perspective. Vinyl is more dynamic but I can't tolerate the surface noise during the quiet passages. So, fellow A'gon members, I'm looking for your suggestions for the best sounding (good tone, big dynamics, front row perspective) and most thrilling performances of Beethoven symphonies on redbook CD. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Ag insider logo xs@2xcrazee01
It is surprising how much consensus there is. There is so much here I agree with in what has been written. The Furtwangler-Barenboim comparison is one I have drawn myself on occasion. I have not heard Harnocourt's cycle, but am familiar with his style and would fully expect similarity to the Gardiner cycle.
Reflecting on this thread has taken me way back. My first love was William Steinberg's vinyl recordings of the cycle with the Pittsburgh. Next, I found the recordings of his mentor, Arturo Toscanini. Now, I find myself drawn to the Jarvi recordings, which I find recapture the spirit of that interpretive tradition.
I rarely listen to Furtwangler, Barenboim, Walter, etc. even though I find much of value there.
We have been remiss Crazee01, in that we have not asked what older recordings of the LvB symphonies that you find pleasing. Understanding more of what you have liked in the past will be the best guide in recommending what you may find "thrilling" in the current catalogue.
I've been very impressed with what I've heard of the Vanska set. It's certainly the best sounding Beethoven I've heard.
Brownsfan, in response, let me explain that I've been a life-long music lover, but growing up I came from the jazz, R&B side of music. When I entered the workforce in the mid-80's, my company sublet office space to a division of Polydor records, and their employees could buy CD's (all the new rage!) for $5 each. They offered me the opportunity, and with the help of a colleague, I bought what I was advised was basic repertoire classical music, more because I couldn't pass up a good deal than any real love for the music. In the ensuing years, I listened a bit to Mozart and Beethoven and others more as background music, but wasn't really captivated. Fairly recently, someone bought me, as a gift, the CD's of Prof. Greenberg's course on classical music which, to my surprise, I found fascinating. Suddenly, I had an historical context for this music and went back to listening to those old CD's more intently and with greater understanding and appreciation. Then I happened upon a DVD of Abbado and the Berliner Philharmonic of a Beethoven symphony, which I played on my home theater system (different from my two channel set up). For some reason, watching the performance and hearing the orchestra on the more powerful and dynamic (but not as good sounding) home theater, I could appreciate the delicacy, beauty and immense power of the orchestra. I bought the entire Abbado/Berliner cycle on DVD, which I really enjoy. But I can't recreate that same sonic excitement in my two channel room with the old CD's. So I don't really have any experience with multiple recordings of the Beethoven symphonies to know what I find pleasing. It's funny, because buying multiple recordings of the same music is so foreign to me. From a jazz perspective, even if I love the tune "Satin Doll," I wouldn't go out and buy various recordings of that same song to hear different versions. You buy Stan Getz records because you love Stan Getz, and it almost doesn't matter what songs he's playing. I guess that's because jazz is "player's music" whereas classical is "composer's music." In any event, I'm excited to find better sounding recordings of Beethoven and continue my exploration of this (to me) new musical world.
To expand on Lowrider57's comments.

There are distinct styles at play here. Furtwangler in many ways set the standard in the 40's and 50's with a slow and majestic performance. Barenboim in is that mode. On the other side are those who more recently play the symphonies as they believe they were originally played, often at a faster pace and with original phrasings and other techniques and sometimes with traditional instruments. That would be Gardiner and Harnoncourt for example. Klieber was more traditional, but at a much faster pace that Furtwangler, although the sonics on the Klieber are not up to modern standards. Many people think Bohm just got it right, with a good mix of tempo and expression. Although his recordings are from the 70's, the sonics are very good for the time. It is good to recognize these styles in determining what appeals to you.

Fortunately, several of these sets like Barenboim, Gardiner, Haroncourt, are now available for $25 or less so it is pretty easy to get several and compare. Even the Bohm on separate CDs are only about $45. Berenboim's versions with his new West-Eastern Divan Orchestra is also available from HDTracks in 24 bit 96 KHz for people looking for high rez versions.
Crazee, I also like Greensburg's lectures. He has quite a few different lecture sets and they are all worthwhile in my opinion.

As you can see from the above, the LvB symphonies are a place where one can do a good bit of sampling without spending a ton of money. Based on your clarifying comments and your original critera, I still think Parvi on RCA may be your best bet. You will find these to have generally fast tempi and good dynamics. That is the sort of approach that generally falls into the "thrilling" as opposed to "profound" category. You can also pick up the Vanska set pretty inexpensively now. Later, you might well want to gain exposure to some of the older classics, from Furtwangler, Toscanini, Bohm, etc.