Beethoven Symphonies - best perf + sonics on CD

My CD's of Beethoven's symphonies were all issued in the late 80's or early 90's and sound flat and two-dimensional, with a back-of-the-house perspective. Vinyl is more dynamic but I can't tolerate the surface noise during the quiet passages. So, fellow A'gon members, I'm looking for your suggestions for the best sounding (good tone, big dynamics, front row perspective) and most thrilling performances of Beethoven symphonies on redbook CD. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Ag insider logo xs@2xcrazee01
The Barenboim/Staatskapelle Berlin cycle has outstanding sonics, but slower, sensitive, and powerful ala Furtwängler. Large orchestra with violins split left and right, double bass on the left. Recorded 1999 on Warner.
Similar to the Gardiner is Harnoncourt's cycle. Faster, powerful, smaller orchestra and recorded by Teldec.
I agree Bohm/vienna for single CDs.
Thanks for your responses. Glad to see there's some consensus.

Regarding Zd's request for an equipment list:

VPI Scoutmaster/Signature arm/Super Platter/SDS/Lyra Kleos
EAR 834P phono stage (with Singerman mods.)
Audible Illusions L2B line stage
Lector CDP 7 CD player
Rives PARC
Gallo Ref. 3.5 speakers on Bright Star Audio stands
Spectron Musician III w/all upgrades
Shunyata power conditioning
It is surprising how much consensus there is. There is so much here I agree with in what has been written. The Furtwangler-Barenboim comparison is one I have drawn myself on occasion. I have not heard Harnocourt's cycle, but am familiar with his style and would fully expect similarity to the Gardiner cycle.
Reflecting on this thread has taken me way back. My first love was William Steinberg's vinyl recordings of the cycle with the Pittsburgh. Next, I found the recordings of his mentor, Arturo Toscanini. Now, I find myself drawn to the Jarvi recordings, which I find recapture the spirit of that interpretive tradition.
I rarely listen to Furtwangler, Barenboim, Walter, etc. even though I find much of value there.
We have been remiss Crazee01, in that we have not asked what older recordings of the LvB symphonies that you find pleasing. Understanding more of what you have liked in the past will be the best guide in recommending what you may find "thrilling" in the current catalogue.
I've been very impressed with what I've heard of the Vanska set. It's certainly the best sounding Beethoven I've heard.