First pre/pro and hopefully last

I am about to get my first pre/pro and hopefully it will last a long time. It will also serve as a 2 channel preamp. Looking at:
1. CLASSE SSP75, but I think it has been discontinued. why?
2. INTEGRA RESEARCH RDC-7
3. ARCAM AV8
Any opinions on these or others? Speakers will be Heron i's, and amps are yet to be decided, see thread under amps for that question, Bel Canto vs. Classe. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.
saint2
I have been considering a 2 channel with a HT pass through. I have heard the Classe has the best analog pass through, but Arcam is very close, and it has a shielded phono area in the unit for audiophiles. Completely separated from the rest of the system. Theta of course is one of the best out there, but $ 15,000 is not in my budget. My budget new or used is $ 5,000. I read a review that compared Classe against Arcam AV8, and Classe nudged out Arcam in 2 channel, but did not have the detail / punch or features of the Arcam. There you are you can't have your cake, and eat it to.lol :) I will sacrifice a little of one to get both without having 2 seperate systems, and without getting overly complicated. Is it possible if you have an analog pass through to get a better DAC then what is in the processor to get better 2 channel music? Just an idea.
Analog pre-amps don't have a DAC like pre-pros do, you must use your cdp's analog outs. You can of course add an out-board DAC to use with your cdp before the pre-amp.

In your $5,000 price range there are many pre-pros that are also very good pre-amp...thats the reason they cost more. Only you can decide if any of them are good enough for you. If you decide not, then you will need to insert a two channel pre-amp into the system.

A good two channel pre with HT pass through is a great option but somewhat over rated..Why?, because it limits your choice to those pre-amps that have this option. If you like one of these pre-amps then there is no problem. What if you don't like any of these pre-amps?

In that case, you can use any pre-amp you like. You will only need to set it's volume control at 12:00 O'clock each time you watch a movie. This is the old (other) pass through method. I have used a very good passive pre-amp along with my Sunfire in this way and the results were fantastic.

By the way, you did not mention your source components? I would hope that they are of very good quality. Also, my recomendations are based on your stated price range and subject to change with price range. Many, many options out there.

Dave
My third and last is Bryston SP1.7. It wasnt bestable in 2 channel bypass (I auditioned quite a few) and its DD/DTS has really opened up with some burn in time.

Having said that, I think you can find similar 2 channel performance in the Classe 75 and the Krell 7.1 albeit for a few thousand more. As I understand it, both of these units have built in analog preamps, like the Bryston.

The Bryston will NOT have video switching, a plus in my book.

My best advice is....Go and audition. Reviews are skewed by advertising dollars, word of mouth is skewed by name recognition and personal justification. Your ears should be true to the end.
Hey Y'all,

I own the Krell Showcase and let me tell you, with the analog pass through; I can put up some very impressive 2 channel performance. I had a few 2 channel devotees come and sample my rig and they all left shaking there heads. I laugh when people make that all encompassing statement, "you will not be happy with 2 channel sound from any Pre/Pro". If you would like to experience the exception to that rule, you are cordially invited to come and listen to my 2 channel/HT system.........John

PS

I recommend you go with the Krell line of Pre/Pros; I've listened to almost all mentioned, except Theta, and the Krell gives the best balance with HT and 2 channel performance. For my money Krell is, without question, the best for HT and it will hold it's own against all in its price range when it comes to 2 channel performance.