Big screen LCD TVs

I like the picture and size...not as bulky as a RPTV. Better on angle viewing as well.
Can anyone offer first hand experience with these? Pros and cons? Brand recommendations?
Thnaks for your time
emil
I have the Sony 50" lcd. After getting over the fact it had to be serviced within 30 days, I like it. I agree with others that some standard def stuff is unwatchable, really unwatchable. And I have had no luck with the internal line quadrupler or whatever, it seems to have no impact at all.
What about "ghosting" or some call it "tracer" effect? Is it really a problem with LCDs?
Emil,

Were you asking about direct view LCDs? I noticed some of the replies discussed RPTVs.

One suggestion I would make is to determine your viewing priorities and personal preferences, and match those against the strengths and weaknesses of each set. There is no ideal TV. What's best for me may not be best for you.

In my own case, watching SDTV was a distant 3rd priority to viewing DVD and HDTV, as this was for my home theater and I watch SDTV in other rooms. I ended up with a Samsung 61" DLP TV, and a critically important reason was its synergy with upconverting DVI equipped DVD players (I have the Pioneer DV-59AVi). The native resolution of the Samsung (1280 x 720) matches one of the HDTV native resolutions (720p), which matches one of the standard upconversion resolutions on DVI equipped DVD players. This makes the (DVD) picture quality really stand out.

Another suggestion I have is to view as many sets in as many different stores as you can. For example, I was mainly comparing the Samsung DLP to the Sony GWIII when I did my test viewing. Sometimes the Sony looked better than the Samsung, but at other times it looked washed out and much worse. The Samsung had a more consistent PQ to me.

Bruce
Dsk,

I don't claim to be the expert, but I believe most if not all flatpanel PC monitors and laptop screens are direct view LCDs. In addition, there are direct view LCD TVs available from Sharp and others, although they seem to be limited at the currrent time to smaller screen sizes; e.g., 20".

Bruce