Advice on Home Theatre components...

Hey guys, I'm a relative newbie to higher end audio, and I can't really afford a lot of the high end stuff that seems to be pretty standard on here, but I wanted some advice on my system if anyone is game. I just bought a new house, closing is sept 1st!) and the designated room is 23'x15'

I currently have:

Recently purchased:
Receiver: Denon AVR-3805
TV: Samsung HLN507W
CD/DVD player: Sony DVP-CX985V 400 disk (was a gift)
Monster MP HTS 3600
Cables: Monster Cable Interlink Datalink 100, and M series M500V x2.

Several years old:
powered Subwoofer: psb Century subsonic 2i
center: psb century 200Ci

~15 yrs old:
Front speakers: BIC America Venturi V830 (x2)
Rear speakers BIC America Venturi V52 (x2)

Other:
PS2, VCR, etc

On the right front speaker, one of the woofers moves freely when pushed in, but the other has a slight grinding feel to it (still sounds ok though). The tweeter on the front left speaker is gone. I probably have to replace the front speakers and possibly rear/center to match it since I can't even find SPECS on these things, much less replacement parts.

Anyway, I've gone on a few trips to some stereo shops to listen to some speakers, and I really liked the Martin Logan electrostatic lines, (Clarity, Aeon, Ascent front, cinema center) but I was concerned with the dispersion (~30 degrees?) I'd also like to keep it semi-reasonable pricewise. My main use for the system is for movies, football games, etc. I do listen to music on it, especially when friends are over, but I'll be honest, I do most of my music listening in the car. This system would be mainly for movies.

I wanted to know what you guys suggest. If I have to replace my speakers rather than repair, what kind should I get? What are the weakest points of my system? (Like I said, I'm new to this). Do I need to have the front/rear/center speakers from the same company? I was hoping to keep the speakers under 3k-ish (under 2k would be even better). Used would be fine so long as they're in good shape. What other things should I worry about? I've never set up a high end system before, so forgive me if the answers to some of these questions are glaringly obvious.

Thanks in advance!

-Mike
aesculapius
Aesculapius , did you form an opinion at Tweeter about their selection of wide screens ? I am in the market and don't know whether to go with a close out (on sale) 65' Mitsubishi or a new (3rd) generation Samsung DLP.
I looked into big screen TVs for a while before I picked mine up. I think part of it is personal preference, but I would recommend going to a best buy or a circuit city where they have a large selection of big screen TVs (tweeter doesn't have as large a selection). Take a look around and see which style of picture you like best.

My personal preference was the DLP because they're a nice compromise between a plasma and a traditional big screen. The DLPs have higher resolution than most rear/front projection TVs, and I liked the quality of the picture better when compared to projection OR plasma. They also don't have the limited lifespan that plasma televisions suffer from, and they're a MUCH more economical choice. (50" DLP ~3k, 50" plasma ~8k, but those are just ballpark estimates). The only reason I would get a plasma is if space was a serious consideration, or if I wanted to mount the tv in an odd place, such as over a fireplace.

The mitsubishi has a beautiful picture, but check the weight on it... the thing is like a battleship! 333 lbs when compared to the DLP 61" which is ~100 lbs. It's also a much deeper set. If space and weight are not limitations, you can get a really nice picture for less money with the mitsubishi.

Anyway, check em out and see how you like the picture on the different types, and make your decision based on that. :)
OH THIS IS TOO RIPE!!!!!!! This just cracks me the &!%# up!I just got through posting on "preamp deal of the century" that there are so many threads like "I just bought a Denon 3805...NOW WHAT SPEAKERS DO I BUY!?!" I was completely joking!...to a point. Then I see your thread saying "I have a Denon 3805, so what speakers should I buy!?"
I'm tellin ya, this guy doesn't even have speakers with tweeters or "unblown woofers!" And he's not totaly sure if he needs new speakers or not!!!!! But at least he does have a new Denon 3805!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAahaahhahahaahah AAAAAahhahahaahaaha. I'm dyin' here!!!!! Stop it, please!?!
The world is going to audio hell! I'm sorry!...that cracks me up!
...AND I QUOTE "I PROBABLY have to replace the front speakers and POSSIBLY rear/center to match it..." AND ALSO "..if I HAVE TO REPLACE my speakers...?" AND, "...what's the weakest link in my system...?!!!!!"
I'm sorry, even though this guy is a newbie, it typifies the typical audio enthusiests stance!!!!!
Too funny!..."what's my weakest link!?!" That just cracks me up.
Yea, thanks for the sarcasm there buddy. Nice to know that at any level of expertise, you'll find a few assholes ready to jump in and stoke their egos in an attempt to deride others.

The "probably have to replace" was in regards to my rears and center. The fronts do NOT have a blown woofer, one is starting to go, but still sounds fine. The tweeter is gone on one and I was talking about replacing the speakers vs replacing the tweeters. I guess you spent too much time learning about speakers and not enough learning to read?

Anyway, your little tirade is what makes it hard for people who are just getting into audio gear to ever ask any questions. I'm just glad there were a few helpful people on here who posted responses before your drivel.
Aesculapius,
Check out Exertfluffer's last 200 or so threads and you will see that in about half of them he brags about where he's worked, what he's sold (which is everything under the sun), how many systems he's installed or helped install (he claims thousands!!), his accomplishments, and his supposed golden ear. I pretty much don't listen to anything he says anymore because it is all crap and quite frankly I'm very tired of hearing him ramble on continuously about himself. I really don't care how much experience he has or how much he thinks he knows, he gets no respect from me and I'm quite certain that I'm not the only one who feels that way, especially after this last post of his. Don't be threatened by him, he's just a big jerk who thinks he knows everything but in actuality is just bragging and is probably telling many lies about his life’s experiences.

To be couteous and respectfull to you, yes, your speakers would need to be your first upgrade. My recommendation would be to check out some of the on-line direct companys like Ascend, Axiom, HSU, etc.
Good luck