Classe CP-35 pre and Classe in general

Hello folks,

I just brought home a CP-35 to audition it as a step up from the Rotel RC-1072 and Acurus RL-11 I had been auditioning. I liked it -- excellent high-end, very natural. Less harsh than the Acurus, but better definition
than the Rotel. This is the only pre-amp in it's range I've seriously auditioned.

This is a dealer demo, for $900, I believe list is $1200.

I'm a bit concerned by the reviews I saw on Audioreview.com. Usually reviews there are positive (even for stuff that's less nice to listen to),but these were decidely mixed. All the reviews for all the Classe equipment were pretty old. This made me wonder if people are still buying this equipment. The most recent CP-35 review (which wasn't very recent)described this as a discontinued model, though it is listed on the Classe
website as "new". Several reviewers mentioned background "hiss" or "noise" as a problem, though I don't hear it in my demo unit.

The higher-end pre-amps (CP-50 and CP-60) got more decidely positive (though old) reviews.

Has anyone compared this entry-level pre-amp to the higher-end Classe stuff, or other stuff in it's price range?

Here are some other questions/concerns (feature questions):

-- The remote is nice (better than the Acurus, which doesn't allow input switching), but doesn't appear to allow controlling a CD player. If you buy a Classe CD player, do you need two remotes?

-- No headphone jack. But there are two sets of pre-amp outputs, so I guess you hook up one of them to a separate headphone amplifier? If so, it appears you turn off your speakers by turning off your power amp. In many cases, this can't be done remotely.

-- The Classe amps and CD players are expensive, in case I want to "match" them. I haven't auditioned these, what do people think of them?

-- Is the company likely to be around for awhile?

Thanks for any comments/feedback you can offer.

- Eric

p.s. Sorry if you saw this on rec.audio.high-end. I posted there three days ago, but it seems the moderators have taken memorial day weekend off, so no posts have made it there. I'm hoping to get some suggestins by tomorrow when I have to return this gear!

Thanks...
ehart5808
First off, if you like the sound, then go for it. Our collective opinions mean squat if your ears enjoy the sound. I own a Classe amp and preamp; I've owned Classe amps of various flavours for 20 years now. Classe products are terrific value, and in your price range I would encourage you to buy the preamp. To answer the rest of your questions...First, most high-end preamps don't have headphone jacks so you need to invest in an outboard unit like the Grado. You connect it to the tape out as you suggested; you can leave your amp on, simply select "tape" on the preamp and it will kill the signal to the amp and allow you to enjoy music through your cans. As for the value of the balance of the Classe line, the amps are incredible value but the tuner and CDP's strike me as over-priced (like most high-end companys that made their name with amps and such). Why do you feel compelled to build a system around one brand? Buy a Magnum Dynalab tuner and a top notch CDP. I happen to own a YBA CD player, I highly recommend it. Classe's tuners and CDP's are pretty damned good, but there is better in the same price range. If you want a matching system there's certainly nothing wrong with the Classe tuners and CDP's, buy them used off AudioGon and save a bunch of money. Finally, will Classe be around in the long haul? Well, they certainly have the track record so far, and living in Montreal and being in the electronics industry I've kept an eye on Classe. Solid company, with exemplary customer service. Buy with confidence. To summarize, do your homework on the price to make sure you're getting a fair deal, buy the preamp and enjoy the music. ATB, Jeff
Jeff,

Thank you for that reply!

This is really a lame answer, but if truth be known, my main reason for sticking with a single vendor has been to get a nice remote that operates all pieces. I realize there are third-party remotes, but I'd wanted to avoid them for various reasons (cost, confusing to use). Maybe I should start a second thread asking for experiences on that score. Also I think I was hoping to simplify my choices in add-on pieces.

Do you have any feedback on the CP-35 in particular? I realize my own ears are the judge, and I find I do hear differences between the different levels of equipment, but haven't seriously listened to anything else in this range, and want to be sure this entry-level unit isn't the "bad apple" of the Classe line, and to be sure I shouldn't be trying to increase my buget (again).

Do you have any experience with the optional Classe phono stage, compared to reasonably priced (say $500 or so) external phono stages? This option is definitely a "plus" for me.

Two other "feature" hesitations I have about the Classe pre-amp:

-- Not many inputs. I was hoping for 6 rather than 5. Like headphone jacks, this seems to be something high-end units drop. The tape input (one of the 5) won't be as useful, in that with the headphone setup as you described I won't be able to listen to the tape input over headphones (I assume). This might be stupid, but I was thinking of using splitters to connect more than one device to a single input. Then just take care to make sure that only one is turned on at a time! Do I risk equipment damage or poor sound quality?

-- Not sure that this unit could fit into a home theater system (this is not important to me at all now, but never say never, I guess). Two-channel "home theatre" would be fine for me, if there's a way to just feed stereo from a DVD disc to the pre-amp without losing sound content.

-- Looks. I think the mixed black and silver is odd. I would prefer one or the other. But I don't care.

Every step up I've taken so far in the shopping process has been an improvement. This is the best so far, but it's in a different league than I listened to before (sort of the bottom of high-end, I guess, rather than "mid-fi").

It's good to hear the company is solid. I'm mainly considering this particular equipment because the local dealer that carries it has treated me so well (especially considering I came in looking for a $500 receiver originally). I had never heard of Classe before. Since then I have read everything I can find. I will post praise for the dealer elsewhere on this site, but for anyone in Vermont, it's Audio-Video Authority in South Burlington.

Other choices in town that are actually available to listen to are Rotel (the same dealer has it, I have "moved up" with the Classe audition), NAD (I listened to their lower-end stuff and didn't like it, mushy, dark, their high-end separates are not available for local listening), Arcam (I eliminated their top-end integrated because it doesn't image well), Cambridge Audio (too bright, good value on the lower end though), Parasound (only the low-end pre-amp is available to listen to, sounds a lot like the Rotel, good, but bass-heavy and not as refined), Adcom (the higher-end CP-750 pre-amp is available to listen to, I may try it based on comments here, I listened only to the low-end before), Acurus (I like it really well, but thought it would be harsh to listen to long-term, and some music doesn't sound good through it), Marantz and Myryad integrateds (both nice, but I fear not enough power for my speakers and room). McIntosh, Bryston (same good dealer), Conrad-Johnson, and Audio Refinement are available, but out of my league, I think. Anyway, I don't think you needed to know any of that -- unless you happen to have compared the Classe pre-amp to the Adcom CP-750, which is probably the only thing on that list I will think about auditioning "against" the Classe.

I will definitely buy local.

Thank you again. As I have perused the "board," I really appreciate the time you and others have put into answering questions here.
Good choice of dealer. I bought all my Classe, Bryston,
Home theater equipment and B&W speakers from them. Excellent service! Bob
Ehart,

I am classe guy. I have Classe CDP .3, CP-45,CA-400,CVA-150,SSP-50 and another CA-400 on its way. As other posts above said, Classe is solid company and offer great values. Before I settled on my above components I auditioned ( actulally owned before upgrades) had CP-35 and CA-200. I was Happy with the sound. Then my CA-200 malfunctioned ( at least that's what I thought at the time, but in fact it was a faulty IC) and I got CA-400 and never regreted paying double the price(than the CA-200), in the process I also got CP-45 and later CP-50(built in to the SSP-50). Honestly in my system, which has a Classe synergy(very important in my book), CP-45 is very musical and works way better. CP-50 Sound I have access to but do not prefer. CDP .3, in my opinion, is one of the great buy for the price. (DAC-1 built in to the SSP-50 does not compare for overall sound, ceratin things are better, but at cost of other greater aspects)

I know you starting out but if dealer offeres you CP-45 (now they calle it may be 47.5?) at slightly higher than the cp-35, I recommend you audition and compare the two sound. Don't go by the looks, go for the sound. If you hapen to add hometheater at a later date the main channels can always go in to to the tape in for a integrated system.

I have auditioned similar categoried, but higher prices Krells, Levinsons, Jeff rowlands and ended buying Classe for overall great sound /value conmbo point of view. Just one more positive opinion, but listen yourself before you buy.
Ehart. I suggest you call Classe and speak with Robert Adam. He is very generous with time and information. He has been quite helpful with me. I owned two CA151s and a CP50. The CP50 is a nice preamp and could be found used for around $1200. If interested, make sure you get the right remote. There are some sold with an older remote that doesn't allow full use of the functions. There is a slight hum that can be heard at the speakers if you put your ear near to them. This is caused by the large power supply. I was informed of this by Classe, before I bought mine. It did not bother me, but this is probably what the reviews you metioned were refering to. The newer model. the 47.5 doesn't have this problem, but I do not think it is as good overall, nor worth the price, considering other options.

I understand your desire to stay with one brand. Many people I know feel the same way. I do not. I prefer the best sound I can get within a budget and have mixed and matched my system over the years. I have heard Classe amps sound great with Conrad Johnson, VTL, Bat and Sim preamps. I always wanted to get my hands on a CA400. I think it is a great amp, Maybe someday. I just bought a Rowland Concentra II, and have stopped looking for the time being. Good luck.